Any trackers here?

Warrior Bob

Man what a noob
I'm involved with some musicians that make music with wavetable modules (.IT, .XM, .S3M .MOD files and the like). We refer to it as "tracked music". Dragon showed me this site... does anyone here do this too? Or am I at the wrong site? =)

could u explain a bit better what u mean bob...?? sorry mate i dont really get into that but i think i have an idea sa to what u get up to with it....

wow

Wow it's been a long time.
I say that those dos based sampling/looping programs kicked more ass than anything (free), that I've found in years.
The absolute flexibility was amazing.

Alas once I upgraded/downgraded to windows95, I couldn't get those programs to alocate sound card memory properly in dos-mode.

PLease tell me that things have changed, that there are versions of (especially impulse tracker) that work with all the new fangled operating systems.

-Jett Rocker

Trackers are still going strong

Sure, Spider! Trackers are similar to MIDI, in that they make music by way of colums ("tracks") with subcolumns for note, instrument, volume, panning, effect, etc. The major difference is that with MIDI you're using the instrument samples or synthesis that is in the hardware, whereas tracked music files have the samples in them. It makes them much bigger (most are about 1MB these days) and they require a special player, but the advantage is that they sound almost identical on each machine that plays them, and anything that can be made into a small .wav file, instruments and human voice alike, can be used.

And as for you, jet-rocker, I bring good news. While older tracking programs were DOS based and hardly if at all work in windows, there are a few windows based trackers out there. My personal favorite is ModPlug Tracker, available at http://www.modplug.com. It's just the same as the old ones, but windows native. No dos support at all =) And the newest version supports Cubase VST plugins... happy!

And as for Impulse Tracker, well. IT3 is in currently in development and is windows based as well. I think the site is http://it3.dspaudio.com but I may be wrong. It will be free, but certain add-on modules like the built-in MP3 encoder will be available for sale.

Dang, I'm wordy! Have a nice day everyone =)

Sounds like a dumbed down version of SF Acid for crippled computers. Or have I missed the description entirely?

drstawl:

Half right, half wrong.
I think that these programs were the predecessors for programs like ACID. But they were more mechanical than musical in many ways. They allowed amazing things to be done on crappy old computers. You still needed a certain amount of memory, hard drive space, and a decent soundcard (Some things never change.)The best part was that the programs were free, and there was a thriving community of people that used them. Then came windows 95.

For their era they kicked ass. Excellent as a drum machine, or rythem back-up section. Any way I've been out of the loop for a while, and I've not used acid so I can't say for sure.

-Jett Rocker

Star Trekking 'cross the USA...

It's "trekkies not trekkers...I used to like the old episodes the best, but the Next Generation kinda grew on me. But DS9 came along and blew them all away!!! I bet Sisco could kick both Piccard's and Kirk's asses at the same time... oops, wrong bbs.;)

Back