any tips on this mix?

One thing that strikes me is it sounds a bit essy. Maybe crank up the de-essing a bit and/or try different center frequencies?

check. i will apply more de-essing. i'm just afraid of lisping it up, but i'll see what more i can add. thanks for the listen!

There's an awful lot of esse in the vocal. I would re-record vocals again with the Mic slightly off axis.

Hey. I like the sound you've got going on here. Aside from the essiness, I find the early vocals are masked by the guitars - maybe you can carve some eq space for them? I would have loved for some bass and drums to kick in at some point. Some of the strumming feels a bit loose in places, not quite in time between the two instruments (is it guitar and mandolin?) - maybe consider retracking if possible?

Instead of boosting lows and highs on the vox, try carving some mids from the guitars when the vocals kick in. The music is good.

https://soundcloud.com/seaandsilence/throw4-mixdown

next try, i'm much happier with it. took out some more essyness, then took out a lot of higher frequencies with made it sound much warmer to my ears.

unfortunately, re-tracking things isn't quite an option, as 1) we recorded it live, so there's bleed on every track, and 2) didn't use my own gear to record, used my father in laws, so for consistency's sake with the rest of tracks, i'd like to leave re-tracking with my gear out.

and again, i really appreciate you guys listening and giving your thoughts. constructive criticism is a great way to learn, imo.

I like the singer's voice. But there are a couple of pitch issues here and there. The vocal tone is nice though. Nice harmonies. Good playing.

A general issue struck me. The mandolin has much more high end than the vocal. It kind of sets the mando in front of the vocal. It sounds like you're trying compensate for this by adding a fairly large amount of reverb to the manodlin. But it just results in the mando and the vocal fighting each other. It's just an unnatural sound. To me the vocal needs to be retracked in some way that gives it more high end.

I think it sounds pretty good but the I agree that the mando is fighting the vocals. I think it could get away with less attack either by compressing the peaks or cutting around 2-6k. Definitely has a nice feel. Kudos to your group on doing everything live. Few have the courage/skill to do that these days.

okay, i will tone down the higher end on the mando.... hopefully i get this song finished soon so i can move on to the next! 8 more to go...

i promise i won't bug you all with all of the songs!

and doing it live was definitely a gutsy move, there were quite a few restarts on some songs. as far as mixing is concerned, i'm somewhat regretful we didn't track though, as it's proving to be much more challenging mixing with mic bleed. but i need the experience and there's no real rush for the tracks, so it'll be worth it in the end.

Back