any tips on recording vocals quietly?

randumbdots...

Hi,

Now that my children are not babies, I have a few hours a week to spend on music and recording. Those hours are at night when my kids and wife are asleep, and I need a way to record quietly so I don't wake them up. Unfortunately, the most convenient place to record is a floor below the bedrooms. Has anyone constructed any sort of "quiet recording box", perhaps to keep stray sounds out, that I could copy and use to keep sounds in. I was thinking of lining a plastic storage container with scrap frize' carpet I have downstairs, and recording with my head inside there (yes, I'm willing to admit that). Anyone have any effective, low cost solutions to my problem?
Thanks.
dots... ;)

You might want to post this in the "studio building" forum, as they have a lot of experience with acoustics. They will likely tell you that the best way to soundproof is to add significant mass, which is not cheap.

You might record what you can directly, using headphones to monitor, and once a week send the rest of the family down to the McDonalds playland (or a movie, whatever) to do your mic recording.

It's not the same as doing it whenever you want (and working late into the night) but it could be a workable solution.

"Now that my children are not babies, I have a few hours a week to spend on music and recording. Those hours are at night when my kids and wife are asleep, "

Like the previous poster said, try to negotiate 'Dad's recording night' when wife looks after the kids alone for one evening. It would be a simpler solution than trying to build a soundproof booth which may not work in the end!

The late night stuff can be time to do non-vocal quieter things.

Back