Any tip or help apprecaited, simple question

Purpleb

Hello I am using Reason to create music (depeche mode type of sound). I usually have everything bass, drums, melody, i know what chords i want to use. But here is the problem:
how do you know how to break up the chord? or play the chord or riff? how do you make up a pattern for it? is there any rules or anything like that?

Any help tips or advice would be greatly apprecaited. I always get stuck on this.
Thanks

I dont know if i fully understand what you mean.. You have the chords, and key - but you just need a style of how to play the chords/riffs in question? If that's the case, it's all down to your personal taste. If it's depeche mode style, i would vary it a bit, try playing the root (1st) note and then followed by the rest of the chord. arpeggiate the left hand, play the full chord in the right, vice versa. etc etc. Just play around until you find something that you like. If i was in your position, i would write down as many different 'styles' of playing a chord, and then practice playing some in different ways and you'll start to progress on how you'll be wanting your sound.

That's the joys of composing :)

Hope that helped.. if that's what you meant.

Good luck,

Sounds like you're asking us how to play the piano/keyboard. That's a big topic! Do you have a few years to devote to this? I've been playing for over twenty years, and I'm still learning!

We spent some time helping you back in September, did you take any of our suggestions?
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=214189 :)

<rant>That's the problem with folks trying to create music on the computer without learning to play ANY instrument. I mean, the usual way of doing things is your parents made you take piano lessons when you were eight years old. Yeah, it sucked originally, but you learned you had a love for making music, and you improved your skills. Eventually you got around to writing songs on the instrument you put in hours upon hours of practice to get to the point where you could PLAY the songs you were writing. Call me an old fogey (I'll be 30 in a couple of months!), but this whole concept of writing music without playing an instrument is just bizarre to me.</rant>

Anyway, good luck! Depeche Mode had some cool stuff (I grew up in the 80s/90s)

Thanks guys I apprecaite it. I am not asking how to play the piano, sorry if it sounds like that. I am just starting out. i have been playing piano for a year and half now and just started learning guitar about a month ago. The previous post back in September did help me out a lot. And defaintly got me on the right track. My parents did not put me in Music classes when i was younger, but i defaintly wish they did though.

Help

You're calling yourself a fogey at 30? I'm 50 and don't even call myself that. What is so bizarre about writing songs without playing an instrument. Most music and lyrics are channeled anyway. I write lyrics and melodies that work very well together yet I don't play an instrument. I learned flute, violin and accordian as a child but never stuck with any of them. I started writing lyrics at 15 and didn't think I could write melodies or sing them myself. Eventually I believed I could put melodies to them and put as many as 15 melodies to lyrics in one weekend twice. I still didn't believe I could sing them myself. Just over a year ago I believed in my singing abilities and I now have 15 songs produced. Granted I need musicians and producers to get hem produced, but I have one of them in the American Idol Underground Big Push 2 competition and right now it's 28 out of 1377 so if you believe in yourself anything is possible!

Back