any tech's know this blue screen error?

peter miller

it's happens when playing audio cd's on my burner.
apart from being crackly sounding..

this is it here-
Invalid VxD link call AFL(01)+ 000019 F6 to device "4103" Service 2.
Your windows configuration invalid. Run the windows setup program again to correct this problem.

Does anyone know what all that means?

Yeah, it means you have something missing that should be there, and you need to reinstall windows to repair the problem. At least that's my guess.

install it over the top OK?

I did a search on the web and most answers seem to lean towards hardware drivers.....
and considering my cdrw drive has always been default windows driver I guess it is probably that

Yes. Sometimes you need to reinstall windows when vital files "disapear". It will basically repair by doing a reinstall. I always had to do reinstalls with 95 and 98. Got xp now and don't seem to have that problem as much. What's your OS?

i got 98SE....
I did a fresh install. no difference.
I did find out however that i gert that error when i eject the cd from the media player. If i righrt click in my computer or press eject button on the cdrw drive there is no problem. But unfortunately my sound when playing audio cd's is still crackly:confused:

I'm thinking vxd is a virtual device driver. I would have thought that would take care of it. Do you have the latest drivers installed for the cd rom? I know it's a big thing to do for such a small problem, but I would reccomend upgrading to XP. You'll like it better anyway.

yeah XP does sound good.
but unfortunately my $650 soundcard won't work on XP. I'm kickin myself now but who's to know these things.

Funny thing though. I pulled apart my old dead cd-rom drive which has been sitting dormant in my pc for donkey's years. It damn well started working again. a bit noisier than before and the headphone jack won't work. I did however clean the lens with some cleaner and a cotton wool bud. I wonder if that was it or i just fluked it. I have heard however that A-Open are notorious for making faulty cdr and cdrw drives.
thanks for all your advice. There are drivers for my cd but it said not to install if you are using a windows system. for dos only.

I'm not sure if it meant the windows cd drivers or the whole operating system. however i can't imagine anyone running things in doss anymore.
:confused:

this problem is across the board in all partitions.
fresh install have done notyhing. I guess cdrom drivers sre the problem. I've tried the latest from a-open but they would not install..
anymore stabs in the dark welcome:rolleyes:

I had the same problem once. The cure was worse than the symptom... I ended up doing a fresh OS install... not just a re-install.

i wish it was that easy, I've done a complete reformat and reinstall of os.I wonder what causes this? Dma settings or something maybe?
One wierd thing is the headphone jacks won't work when i'm using winamp or most other 3rd party media players but will work with windows cd player.
I managed to update to latest drivers for the cd drives but doesn't seem to do much :(

i found the problem. It's my exturnel usb zip drive.
If i'ts on my system the cd-drive will play-up.
I've swapped slots around but no difference.
It the USB zip drive is anywhere on the system it will conflict.
Any ideas?:(

Peter,

Just installed Mona's new drivers - version 6.04.
In the 'ReadMe' it mentions that this version fixes some bugs, one of which (VxD) is "Could cause blue screen while playing or recording CD's'

Seems like it could be a bug.

?

foo

yeah, never had a zip drive until 2 weeks ago.unfortunately i have the latest drivers,however iomega set try there latest drivers.

If the Zip drive is USB how about just unplugging the bugger?

Does that fix the problem, or do you have to uninstall the Iomega Software to fix it?

Either way that's a fucking pain in the ass!

I have the same problem with MS's cheapo mail client, Outlook Express. If I check my mail and then forget to actually exit the MS Messenger program (as opposed to just closing the bastard) it will produce a coaster on EVERY burn. I should be able to sue them for the cost of all the media I've lost but what lawyer would do battle with such a behemoth for no money?

One lawyer told me this a long time ago. If you have a tort, you better have some damages to show the court. Unfortunately I haven't saved all of the coasters I've produced and even if I had- how could I prove that they were caused by the SW and not the HW? I know it, but then I was there at the time.

Peter, the other problem you can get with USB powered from the mobo is that they sometimes don't like devices dragging any power out of the port. You might try borrowing/using a powered USB hub to see if the problem is one of power. I have also found that adding a PCI card with USB ports (which have a new regulator on the card) can solve this type of problem.

My CD-RW (Sony Spressa USB, about 3 years old) conflicts with my USB CF Card reader. If my reader is connected (i.e. I have the drive letters assigned) and I launch Nero, my Win2K system just reboots (no blue screen or anything). I just "uninstall" the card reader prior to any burning. This works really nicely in 2000, I don't know how 98 works though. Good luck!

peter miller said:
i found the problem. It's my exturnel usb zip drive.
If i'ts on my system the cd-drive will play-up.
I've swapped slots around but no difference.
It the USB zip drive is anywhere on the system it will conflict.
Any ideas?:(

via

if this is a via chipset they have had problems in latter times with their onboard usb controller. When i used 98se my computer would hang for about 30 seconds before i could actually do anything at startup. I disabled the onboard usb ports and it booted up fine. this very well might not be your problem..but just something i thought of.

thanks for the advice everyone.
I fixed the problem ,I updated the drivers for the USB zip drive.
With some help from a live tech chat room at IOMEGA i checked everything and ended up just updating ..
Man alive this one took ages to figure out and the fix was so simple!

aaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:( :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :eek:

Back