Any suggestions before I start buying?

psychokids

Hello,

I found this forum when looking into what type of computer setup I need to do some home recording. I have an amd 1800+ system, but it has my autocad/internet/electronics design software loaded so from what I've heard I might need a seperate system for tracking and editing. This is what I have come up with so far:

Delta 410 sound, another amd 1800+, 512 meg ram, a 9 gig scsi hd for the os and programs, and mid sized ide hd for the sound files (probably 80 gig). Most of it is tried and true by many people here, but I am a student on a budget so if anybody thinks im getting too much or too little in some area I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'm especially concerned with if I'll get considerably better quality than just putting a delta 410 in the computer I have now and closing all the other apps when I'm doing audio work. Also, is it worth bothering with the scsi hd?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

i dont think id go with the old hardrive, not for the os anyway i think id just go with a 120gig and leave it at that every thing else sounds good, you could prob. get a faster processor for a little more too. or if your really on a budget try the duron its not bad i had one that i overclocked to 1.5ghz from 1.3 i ran it a good while before i upgraded. to a athlon 2500+

I run a duel boot system, 2 hard drives. One is partitioned like so C: windoze and all the other office shite I have to use (main boot) D: another version of stripped down windoze, E: my music tracking software. That's all on the first drive. 2nd drive is solely for recording to (F:)

I'm running an AMD 1800XP on a gigabyte board with 512meg of PC2100 ram. Delta 1010 soundcard, Cubase 32 v5.1. Had 28+ tracks laden with plugin effects never peaking over 70% on the performance bar.

Thinking about getting a 410 to let me pull back 16 tracks to the desk for mix down.

Alec.

P.S. (afterthought) Scsi drives are fine but 9 gig is gonna be swallowed up whole when you record music. If you can I'd recomend ATA 133 hard drives with the 8 meg cache, the seagate ones seem to be favoured around here. Good luck.

psychokids said:
Hello,

I found this forum when looking into what type of computer setup I need to do some home recording. I have an amd 1800+ system, but it has my autocad/internet/electronics design software loaded so from what I've heard I might need a seperate system for tracking and editing. This is what I have come up with so far:

Delta 410 sound, another amd 1800+, 512 meg ram, a 9 gig scsi hd for the os and programs, and mid sized ide hd for the sound files (probably 80 gig). Most of it is tried and true by many people here, but I am a student on a budget so if anybody thinks im getting too much or too little in some area I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. I'm especially concerned with if I'll get considerably better quality than just putting a delta 410 in the computer I have now and closing all the other apps when I'm doing audio work. Also, is it worth bothering with the scsi hd?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Why even bother with a second system?

My PC does my DV video capture work, Premiere Editing, DVD Authoring, Photoshop, 3D Studio MAX and Rhinho work in addition to DAW work with no problems whatsoever...

Its a P4-2.26 GHz system w/512Mb RAM and 240Gb worth of space on 2 HDs.

Hello,

With the suggestions just going with dual boot, I messed around with recording a little; I used the line in of the built in sound on my motherboard and left open a bunch of apps and my (semi)finished mix was glitch free and didnt sound nearly as bad as I thought it would. With this in mind, I cant see a dedicated audio computer giving me my moneys worth considering I'm only recording myself, so I decided to go with a dual boot system and spent my money on a delta 410, a new case, a new hd, a dvd-rom drive, a cd-rw drive, a dvd+-r drive, and some dvd media. I took care of my next two major projects with less than the budget of the first. Now on to the dozen or so I have started but havent finished... Thanks for the help everybody.

-Chris

I ordered my delta 410 from newegg.com for I think 116 dollars and was pretty excited about the price, until i just saw it on sale at musiciansfriend.com for $99.99... If anybody here is looking for one please learn from my mistake. Just a heads up.

-Chris

So LemonTree, what Motherboard would you plud the Seagate ATA133 into? I'd like to step up to the 21st century (currently have a PIII) with a P4 system and am looking for some guidance on choosing the components. :confused:

My MOBO is a gigabyte G7vxe+ I think. Best bang for the buck I could aford at the time of building but I'm sure there's a lot of much better MOBOs out there. I've read a lot of good things on here about the ASUS boards. Do a search

Back