Any professional electricians here?

ONEsnowRIDER

I'll the first to admit I know how to spell 120 volt ...and that's about it. I have a very small recording shed (just framed the room with in a room), and I'm debating if I should run my own electrical work or entrust it to a professional (not sure if I can afford one).

My layout is pretty simple (I think). See .jpg

My real concern is I don't know if I have the power to run everything, how could find out?

Sorry for the strange MS paint .jpg :P

Attachments

• computer room power layout.jpg
    computer room power layout.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 48
My real concern is I don't know if I have the power to run everything, how could find out?

Your analogy is like trying to buy a vehicle that will tow a boat, but you don't have the boat or the trailer. So....

What you need to do first is figure out how much power you'll need, then go from there.

First, the heater should be on its own breaker. If its not, you're more than likely going to flip breakers and be highly annoyed.

Since rarely do people run A/C and Heaters at the same time, you can share a breaker for those two devices. If you're silly and turn them both on, pop goes the breaker, no problem.

Anyway, what wattage does your A/C draw? What wattage does your heater draw? Look at the labels and post them here. If not wattage, look for AMPS indicated by a number with a capital A after it.

Next is the lighting. What lights do you have in the room? 40W incandescants? 100W? Flourescents? Add up all the wattage of the bulbs and indicate the type and post it here. Include desk lamps :)

Next is the equipment. At this point right here you can add up all the stuff you have now, A/C lights and heater, and subtract that from the circuit breaker rating, and whatever is left, is what you have for your studio. Might be 1000W left over for gear, might be 10W. Depends on what you have.

Now comes the fun part, flip over all your recording gear, and write down either the amps or the wattage that it draws, and post that here. I'll give you a simple design for your studio at that point.

Just to draw it out we have to eliminate wild guessing on my part.

My home studio ended up with three 20A breakers... one for A/C and lighting, one for all the synths, modules, effects and such, and one for the computer, digital mixers, and hard disk recorders. Coincidentally, it balanced out to about 13A per breaker +/- 5%.

Post what you got in amps (A) or watts (W) and what it is and we'll be happy to help ya out.

frederic, sounds good I'll do this. Thanks for getting me started in the correct direction. Hopefully I'll have this information by tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Back