any MANDOLIN pickers out there?

the dude

I recently purchased a mandolin and was wondering how many people on here play. I have played guitar for 10 years and am finding it to be a pretty easy crossover with the exception of a few things here and there. I have been getting chord charts and lessons (scales and shit) from the internet and everything is coming along good. anyone have suggestions, tips etc. on how the become better??? let me know. thaNKS.

Spend as much time as you can hanging out with other mando players at jams and bluegrass festivals.

Listen to Sam Bush, John Duffy, Ricky Skaggs, Tim O'Brien, etc.

I'm a mandolin player. Played guitar for about 8 years before buying a mando. Dont really play it much, but its great fun when I do. I'm more into the classical style of playing..... ever watched captain corelli's mandolin? ..... that style.

Enjoy

I've been playing mandolin for about two years after a long stint with acoustic and electric guitars. I also dabble in banjo and dobro.

I found the transition relatively easy and I'm suprised that more people don't play. Maybe they're concerned with the small size of the instrument, the width inbetween the frets, or the fact that eight strings (all wound pretty tight!) can be a bit of work to change on a regular basis. It could also be that people associate mandolin with either folk/bluegrass or classical traditions (Other than Led Zepplin and REM, the mando doesn't appear that often). It's to bad becasue it's a fantastic lead acoustic instrument and a great tool for rythm, particularly panned opposited a strummed acoustic guitar.

I've found that the instrument is actually easier to play "fast" than a guitar. The only thing I've had trouble with are complex chords. I'm great with G,C,D etc. and I've recorded some decent stuff using two finger chords. But other chords can be trouble especially since my hands are large.

DWILLIS,

yeah I find it pretty easy too. I havent had the chance to record it yet but cant wait!! I am just going nuts learning chords and little leads and scales and shit. I am WAY more into the Led Zep, REM use of the instrument than the bluegrass/classical use of it. play in an all acoustic rock band that utilizes acoustic drums. Djembe, congas, bongos, cymblas, chimes, etc. I think it will go well with the other instruments. Already wrote my first mandolin riff!!1 thanks for the input, man.

Sam Bush rocks out more on a mando than Jimmy Page ever would in a hundred lifetimes. REM uses the mando essentially as an effect. Bill Monroe was rocking out on mando right up to his death!

If you learn the licks of the masters you'll be able to utilize them in many more genres than just bluegrass.:) If you can play "Salt Creek" or "Little Sadie" at 160-180 bpm then there's not a lot left that you can't do...........

If you can learn fiddle tunes and turnarounds you can use that stuff anywhere and folks will always be amazed at your playing. What could be cooler than throwing "Blackberry Blossom" or some licks from "Blue Moon of Kentucky" into a rocking jam???

Last edited:
DWILLIS:
I have found mandolincafe. pretty cool site! anyone know of any other rock/country rock/alt. country bands or musicians that utulize mandolin? I have found REM, ZEP, BLIND MELON, JAY FARRAR or SON VOLT, UNCLE TUPELO. I am sure there are others. I am trying to find as many as possible so I can study hoe they use it in this style of music which is what i am into. thanks again guys! the dude

oh and I believe John Paul Jones played all the mando. am I wrong???

Check out David Grisman. He started out a bluegrasser but his recordings of the last 20 years or so have been a lot of swing, Brazilian, jazz, etc.

You should be able to find all kinds of extremely cool stuff here:

www.furthurnet.org

It's a P2P file service that allows you to download performances from artists that have agreed in writing to alloow their music to be freely traded.

I've got Govt Mule, Bruce Hornsby, Jerry Garcia Band, the Dead, Phil & Friends, Counting Crows, Mississippi All-Stars shows off that site.

Most of the recordings are top-notch, too, I might add. "Bootleg" tapers are for the most part pretty anal about the recordings they post, and I've seen a lot of guys with $2-3,000 worth of mics, pres, converters, and DATs at Dead and Phil shows, and the Mule too.

I've been trying to find a recording a guy did at the Moore Theatre of the Mule last May with a matched pair of 103's. I have his version of Phil's show in Eugene from last year and it is sublime.

Back