Any Linux users?

tamias

Just wanted to see If anyone records using a Linux OS and some of their distributions. Seems logical, haven't read up on it yet. I've heard that some big studios and productions companies use Linux 'cause it's easier to convert SGI to linux than to mac or wind. That and it's free...Nothing else It'd be cool to tool around with.

I've used Audacity on Linux a little, as well as using Kino for DV capture.

As long as your distro isn't too bloated and you have some idea what you're doing it can be a good way of doing things.

The software needs lots of work to become as fully-featured as something like Cubase, but it's getting there. I estimate five to ten years until you can do for free under Linux, what you can do now for £1000 of software on Windows

If you want a decent distro to get started with, try Gentoo. The community is friendly and the documentation is excellent.

Get one of the Agnula distros - ReHMudi (based on Red Hat) or DeMudi (based on Debian). Both are set up from the get go for audio work. Then download Ardour and Hydrogen. I think the Red Hat package manager is a bit more slick, but I don't know that there's any huge differences between those two distros.

Planet CCRMA is a neat set up too, you can try that out. That being said, IMO Linux still ain't ready for prime time.

It's just not as simple as XP or OSX to get working, and you have to live with Linux software, not commercial stuff, which may or may not be ok with you.

It will advance rapidly for audio if and when the big players get involved. But the very nature of GPL licensing makes it tricky, I think.

Thanks for the replies! I'm leaning towards the Agnula dist. I've got a pent3 with nothing on it so Linux sounds like a cool side project. Audacity looks easy to navigate. It's time to cross over to the Dark Side, lol.

a very interesting linux development ive been following is this one....
ferventsoftware.com
had quite a bit of press. peace.

Fervent

manning1 said:
a very interesting linux development ive been following is this one....
ferventsoftware.com
had quite a bit of press. peace.
Hi I have just loaded fervent onto my Hard Drive and it workd really well. I would think you would need to be an advanced PC user or like messing with your pc to use it fully.
The thing with Linux is that it grows with you as you learn.

The software seems to do what it needs to very well and sounds nice!
It's lean and mean.

Thing to bear in mind is once you learn Ardour/Rosegarden/Audacity you have it for life
and not untill some company decides they need more cash from you.

You will also learn more about the actual way PC's record to disk and what they do.
This can't be a bad thing for those in music recording for the long run.

I've got a 16 track set up here working well.

Cheers
kedman

kedman....
which sound card are you using with fervent ?
by the way...ive programmed on the pc.
know just a little...

manning1 said:
kedman....
which sound card are you using with fervent ?
by the way...ive programmed on the pc.
know just a little...

HI
The RME hammerfall lite, had a few hassles to start with , No mixer,
but jack seems to run it at 24 bit and 48K which I like.
Still finding my way round the system.
Just installed the planet on my master box 2.
cheers
kedman

thanks kedman.
i think by 3 yrs as i'm a computer engr hopefully i'll be able to get a dual processor laptop. by that time i hope the linux audio software will be even more mature and more sound options available.
linux is certainly starting to happen. pity ardour doesnt have midi support from what i see.peace.

elev...
ive been bugging a few distro types to just slim the whole thing down.
ie...ardour plus rose plus jack etdc plus the linux os all in 50 mb.
i dont need all the other stuff.
hopefully someone will put out a slim music only distro.
with maybe a small wp prog for session notes and web browsing.
plus wav>>cd burning.wav>> mp3. who needs more ?
problem with a lot of distros is - whether its ubantu, knoppix, suse etc ...
too much bloat.
whats the exe size of ardour and rose ? anyone know ?

I'm still reading....but the more I read, the more I like Tux. I'm choosing Linux 'cause it's not bloated, like xp and os. The track you record would be 'live', right? It wouldn't have to be buffered or sync'd? Man, Clapton had it all! Or are all the big distributions bloated big time? Fervent looks cool. I'll keep reading.

It works, it needs learning and it takes time. Just like any major change you do to your pc. Sometimes it can take a lot of time, but once it works, it stays that way. That's what I like about it.

manning1 said:
elev...
ive been bugging a few distro types to just slim the whole thing down.
ie...ardour plus rose plus jack etdc plus the linux os all in 50 mb.
i dont need all the other stuff.
with maybe a small wp prog for session notes and web browsing.
plus wav>>cd burning.wav>> mp3. who needs more ?
problem with a lot of distros is - whether its ubantu, knoppix, suse etc ...
too much bloat.
whats the exe size of ardour and rose ? anyone know ?
Have you not been following this thread?
AGNULA

Fervent

tamias said:
I'm still reading....but the more I read, the more I like Tux. I'm choosing Linux 'cause it's not bloated, like xp and os. The track you record would be 'live', right? It wouldn't have to be buffered or sync'd? Man, Clapton had it all! Or are all the big distributions bloated big time? Fervent looks cool. I'll keep reading.

Hi
I bought and loaded fervent to the HD on my WinXP box and its working fine.
Would suit the pro's who just want it to record and output, it's very clean to my eyes and ears.

Best way yet to get into Linux Audio, thing is once you crack this system it stays with you for life.
Cheers
kedman

elevate. i dont see what your getting at.
i check regularly on agnula. still looks like a big distro.
if i'm missing something - please clue me in !
also i'm very happy with what i have now under win for audio.
smooth as cream. and i dont want to make a major commitment unless its EXACTLY meets my needs. for example no midi in ardour.
ardour is VERY nice...but still does not have all the features i need.
that i have currently in one audio/midi pkge .
believe me - i want to see linux win against win as much as the next guy.
as its freedom ! but i have to be practical for my studio needs.

manning1 said:
elevate. i dont see what your getting at.
i check regularly on agnula. still looks like a big distro.
if i'm missing something - please clue me in !
You said:
That's pretty much what AGNULA is. Your hope of basically getting all that functionality in a 50MB package is a pipe dream...unless you can do without a GUI.

with greatest respect elevate. from a technical computer engineering perspective - 50 mb is doable. very very tight - but doable. its that noones done it yet.
using assembler programming techniques its definitely doable in 70 mb. go look at the menuet OS sometime.
whole operating system INCLUDING GUI fits on a floppy size.
go look at a distro like damn small linux or flonix. these are pretty complete as they are. only the audio hooks need to be added.
peace.
ps..ive written my share of operating system code in the past.

Who's going to write an OS and a suite of audio apps in assembly? Is there really a point in creating such a thing?

Back