Any know a company that makes or sells Hard Shell Mixer Cases for the Road?

Hey guys

I’m planning on doing a few shows with my band over the summer and i have pulled together a system that i plan to use. My main board will be my Roland VS-2480cd (which i use for recording mainly but im going to use it to mix and record our live shows) and i need a hard shell case to keep it safe while going from gig to gig. I looked up the Roland brand case made for the machine, the VS-TCXL, which is $300, kind of a little bit more than i planed to spend on a case, although I don’t intend to sacrifice quality just to save a little money, because yall all know that the vs-2480 is a little nice chuck of change and i wouldn't mind spending a lil bit to keep it at it's best. Anyways any help is appreciated. sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Last edited:
http://www.roadreadycases.com/
Built like tanks. I have one for my 24 channel Mackie board and my guitar player has one for his amp and pedal board. Kind of like a Mac truck and a Pinto, if you bash these into your foot or a wall, the case will win.

case makers
hybrid cases
calzone
grundorf
gator
and many more
all can be made to order
also pelican, skb,and so on all have cases with usable dimensions with diced foam.

I have cases made everyday for everything under the sun. 300 seems a little pricey for a case that small. more like 200-250 is average for recessed hardware 3/8 ply and 2" foam.

SKB cases for keyboards are okay. Their rack cases should be avoided though.

Just be aware that $300 for a road case is nothing. If Roland makes that specific case for that specific piece of gear, and it looks strong, then I'd say go for it. That's not expensive for a case at all.

Yeah i've been thinking about just getting the roland case, but $300 does seem a lil pricey, plus it would be another few weeks before i could get up enouf money for that and we have a show in a few weeks so that'd be cuttin it close and i aint about to through tha ol 2480 in the back of the truck lol. But our drummer's step dad makes cases and he said he'd see if he could come up with something. i'll talk to him today and see what he has came up with but if nothing else i will prolly wide up buying a case.

Roadready-Best case for the buck!!!

Like B.G. said they are "built like tanks". I bought a 12U rack case, brand new at Guitar Center for $150.00. (They were asking $199.00 and I negotiated with them). I did have to laugh when they brought out the case in it's card board box and it said" Fragile- Handle with Care" all over the outside. :)

Another possibiolity: buy a hard shell suitcase and add foam yourself. :)

Alternately, if you really want a snug fit, take three garbage bags and about ten cans of spray foam. Fill two of the trash bags with about five cans each, in rapid succession. Seal the bags quickly. Please one in the bottom. Place the mixer on top. Place the empty bag on top of the controls just to be safe. Then place the second filled bag on top of that. Close the case and latch it. Wait for the foam to expand and harden.

WARNING: DO NOT OVERFILL THE BAGS. Know the expansion factor beforehand and estimate how thick a layer of foam you'll need when all is said and done, then do the math to figure out how thick the wet foam should be.

Alternately, do this one at a time, them sand down the back side of the blocks if they end up being too thick for the suitcase to close.

$300 for a road case is a pitance. If it looks like it's decent, get it. For any case which will be really first rate you are going to spend more than that.

Also, do NOT, under any circumstances, try to make your road case. At least, not if you are ever going to have a road crew involved. There are numerous problems with home made cases, first of all being that unless you are a professional roadcase maker, yours will not provide the kind of protection it needs to provide. Stage hands (particularly the kind you get in cheaper venues, i.e. non-union hands) will be sure to destroy the case and it's contents by the time you get home. Not malicously, but it will happen none the less. Second, a real case sends a message of professionalism to the hands. The LAST thing you want is for the hands to see you as an amature. Trust me on this. These are guys who spend all day every day doing the shitty part of a job that sends most guys screaming in a week. Unprofessionalism around hands is like blood in the water around 20 hungry Great White sharks. Professionalism and curtosy will be rewarded. Lack of it will be punished. Again, it's not a malicous thing, it's just the way it is.

If you want the best protection for your board, get a real road case, an Anvil, or a Slamhammer, or something serious like that. And expect to pay more than $300.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yeah the more and more i think about it, im just gunna by a case for the board. I can prolly fork up the $300, but like i said i paid $3000+ for the thing itself so i want the best protection i can get for it on the road. thanks alot guys

Last edited:
I looked up that Roland case. It's basically an SKB style case custom made for the 2480. For gigging around town it's probably going to be just about perfect. Even on the road, assuming you handle it yourself. I might be a little hesitant to ship it on an airplane, then again it would probably be alright.

The one I would highly suggest you do is a get strap for it. The latches look a bit wimpy, so a good strong strap around it will pretty much ensure it stays closed at all times.

yeah i agree, but i doubt it would be shipped on a plane right now lol. But yeah i would just need something that i could put the recorder in , and set in the back of the Suv, or trailor or truck, what ever we're in and know that if we hit a bump in the road or have to slam on the brakes it will be ok, and it might also have some what of a chance of surviving if it was dropped between stage and the car.

Back