Any ideas what this is?

I'd say it's a consumer-grade 6-channel mixer- from the colored knobs, appears that it might be Tascam's answer to the Tapco 6-channel mixer that (I am told) was the first of it's kind.

We had one of those Tapco's- used it as one of the rock n roll summer camp band's rental PA (well, it plus a power amps and a pair of speakers.) We could NEVER control the feedback.

There used to be a company called MM that made mixers in the 1970's and 1980's and they used the same knobs. I had a MM Mixer and it was not that good.

I found an old picture of a MM desk:

mm mp175 8-2 - mixer.jpg

While I was looking for a pic I found this site, scroll down the page and look to the right and there is something very similar.

Alan

Thanks guys, it's definately of that era - I'm a sucker for lame duck interesting kit that quickly ends up in the garage!!! I can't think what the pair of switches at the bottom of each channel do? unless they are inpedence matching?
Think maybe I've got enough stuff I don't understand :)

I can't think what the pair of switches at the bottom of each channel do? unless they are inpedence matching?

The picture you posted is too low a resolution to make out what the labels say by those switches. What do they say?

One is probably a channel on/off switch. The other....who knows?

As to the age of the mixer, the LED meters would tend to rule out much chance of it being from the 70's and more likely, its from the 80's. Not that that's a guarantee of any sound quality differences.

Cheers! :)

As to the age of the mixer, the LED meters would tend to rule out much chance of it being from the 70's and more likely, its from the 80's. Not that that's a guarantee of any sound quality differences.

No, I own amps and old mixers from the 70's that had the same type of led meters. An Oz built 20 channel Jands JM6 and a 12 channel Jands JM5. The old Jands J600 power amps also had led meters, I bought one new in 1978, however the LEDs are not very accurate LOL. Just a side note, Jands was a company set up in the very late 1960's to make PA gear, on of the founders was the late Bruce Jackson who was very enervative and way ahead of his time. Jands today mainly make lighting gear.

Alan

No, I own amps and old mixers from the 70's that had the same type of led meters. An Oz built 20 channel Jands JM6 and a 12 channel Jands JM5. The old Jands J600 power amps also had led meters, I bought one new in 1978, however the LEDs are not very accurate LOL. Just a side note, Jands was a company set up in the very late 1960's to make PA gear, on of the founders was the late Bruce Jackson who was very enervative and way ahead of his time. Jands today mainly make lighting gear.

Alan
Fair enough! :)

Green LEDs weren't common in the 1970s. (They weren't true green either. That came much later.) Even the common red LEDs couldn't be produced economically until around 1970. I don't think it's likely a multicolored 28-LED meter assembly could be built cheaply enough for use in a budget consumer grade mixer before 1980.

Back