Any help on the mix

Tried re-recording the guitars last night and didn't get anything I was happy with yet. I am going to keep playing around with mic positions today and see if I get anything better.

Like so many have said, too far in the high EQs generally. But the playing, singing and writing is really good. I reckon if you had a mic on the acoustic guitar you might get some nice thump from your playing ... that might add a bit more bass rhythm happening. Even a little stomp box on a song like this might help fill in the groove. Oh and it might be worth getting a bass guitar or double bass.

I've Mastered Your Track

Hi, I have done some mastering work with the MP3 (Wagon Wheel - PreMix(2), to see what could be done to what you had. Ill be happy to work on the mix for you if you would like? once you have the final recorded tracks etc.

Here is the mastered version as an MP3. I have the WAV you can have if needed.

View attachment Wagon Wheel - Mastered(1).mp3

All the best,

Shaun

I'll take critique on anything. The mix, the singing, the playing.

I have someone (I'll leave their name out unless they want to say) mixing it so I can hear some differences. I thought I'd post it up here though and see what you guys hear.

View attachment 88596

I apologize for not using soundcloud but my friends have all added me there and I don't want them hearing it until it's finished.

Nice song.

I'd prefer a mic'd acoustic guitar myself.

Some of the lead guitar parts are buried. Some nice little licks tho. I'm hearing some fret buzz every once in a while, but not real bad.

I think you could nudge up the harmony vocal.

The lead vocal sounds a little thin. Maybe a small boost around 200hz. But keep it very small. Or remove/lessen any EQ cuts you had in that range.

Yeah I think the comments in the thread are all correct. I've cut the lows too much and boosted the highs. Right now I've listened so many times though any adjustments sound wrong. Trying to let it fall out of my brain some then I'll try to mix it again. I will probably also re-record the guitars with mic instead of doing the DI

I can't really add to what people have already said, I just wanted to comment on your vocals, Best I've heard in the mix clinic, suited this song down to the ground. Well done man. The songs great, Fantastic melody.

Wow, thank you!

As someone who is overly critical of my own voice and honestly worried that I couldn't sing just a few months ago that is awesome to hear.. So sincerely thank you.

I can't really add to what people have already said, I just wanted to comment on your vocals, Best I've heard in the mix clinic, suited this song down to the ground. Well done man. The songs great, Fantastic melody.

Why is this song covered so often? I've heard ten million covers of it, but I have no idea what the original sounds like. I'm guessing it sounds like this since all of the covers sound the same.

Anyway, the guitar is thin, like it's a DI acoustic. Don't do that. It's fine for live, never very good for recording. Mic that thing. I think it will sound better. At 1:51 some weird note/noise jumps out at me. And the playing is pretty squirrely at times, but it's okay for a song like this. I thought the vocals were pretty good. No problems there. Maybe bring them up a hair.

Thanks for taking the time Greg. I've listened to every mix you've posted since I joined the site and am always shocked at how clean and clear they sound (even if not my style of music).

You got my on the DI part, after talking with Jimmy and Steeno I've learned my lesson and gone to stereo micing on my acoustics (although I haven't redone this). The lead is played by a friend of mine, he came over one night not knowing the song and played about 5 takes of "lead/texture" guitar that were all 100% different so I tried to splice them into something.

Usually anything I'm working on the vocal is mainly what I'm interested in. I enjoy the mixing part but I'm really only into the other instruments as much as I have to be to get to sing some so I'm glad I got that part close.

I am thinking I should re-record the acoustic, either get him to play some new lead or remove it all together (the guitar is very boring without it though, just 4 chords over and over).

Again though thanks for the listen, if I ever manage to get a track sounding as good as one of yours I will be dancing in the freakin streets.

---------- Update ----------

Also as for why it's covered so much, I honestly didn't know it was. It was originally a Bob Dylan tune that he never recorded or wrote verses for, just had the chorus. Old Crow Medicine show wrote some verses and recorded it in a nice bluegrass type style.

It became more popular recently when Darius Rucker (Hootie!) covered it in his typical country style. Personally I'm not a fan of his cover but it really got the song some attention.

Back