any good soundcards for celeron processors?

raddo

I want to use my emachines etower 667ir w/ a celeron processor @ 667 mhz to record my guitar tracks. I bought the Lexicon core 2 sound card w/ a breakout box and thought I'd be in business, but all I heard was that "electronic noise" in addition to my tracks. I have tried all of Lexicon's suggestions to correct this problem, but nothing works. So my question is, is there any way to use this card in my computer to produce pro quality sound and if not, what sound cards are available for use with a celeron processor that get rid of this "electronic noise"? I am willing to spend the money if I can use my pc to record my guitar tracks. I also use Voyetra's Digital Orchestrator Pro for multitrack recording...ever heard of it? I love it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You may have a defective unit....those Lexicons have been known in the past for that....Celerons will work fine with most cards....does the Lexicon have preamps or are you using some other type of preamp to go from guitar to card....The electronic noise may be from the guitar.....try recording some silence and see if you get the noise....

I used Digital Orchestrator Plus but I had to ditch it because I started working at 24bit and DOP only records at 16bit....If you will be working higher than 16 bit you may wanna look into something else....N-track at www.fasoft.com goes for $59 for the 24 bit version...

I use a Zoom 505II effects unit and plug into my Samson Mixpad 12. Would most soundcards like M Audio Delta series or the Darla/Gina/Layla be of high enough quality to get good quality multitracks? The E-machines may not be the best, but it was fairly low cost plus it has a built in CDRW. I just don't want to hear that "electronic noise", know what I mean? I tried recording some silence and the noise is there too.

I have a Delta Audiophile(about $149) and when I record silence, its silent.....Echo cards (Darla Gina Layla Mia) would be in the same class.....I have heard bad thingsabout the Core2 in the past, but recently have been told they got their shit straight....make sure you have the latest drivers installed...make sure u are using decent cables....other than that, yank it....

I'm running a Delta44 on an Intel Celeren 500 (with a VIA chipset, no less!!)

took awhile to get working - but sounds great now

To Pratt:

Did you ever experience any of the "electronic noise" I was talking about? The guy at Guitar Center said that what I might be hearing is crosstalk, which is pretty common with cheaper machines like e-machines.
Thanks for all the help everybody.

raddo-

haven't had any problems with "electronic noise" as you describe it - the problems that I had dealt more with audio 'skipping' and 'popping' during recording & playback

Was the popping and skipping due to small amounts of memory? I just installed 128 mb. All I need now is a good soundcard that will work for me and I can lay my songs down.

wasn't due to memory (I have 384 mb in my machine) - I can't really pinpoint exactly what the problem was because I did a number of system 'tweaks' to get it running - things like disabling CD-rom 'auto-insert notification', etc.

heres a good solution

get the book cakewalk power by scot garrigus he explains how to configure your machine to a daw by disableing some programs , getting rid of your screen saver programs and the like and setting it up so you can choose the daw from your normal configuration.

pops can also come from noT HAVING A SLAVE HARD DRIVE on your machine. you need two for recording. but the power supply in an e machines is crap and you will need a new case to upgrade.(i know this im typing on a cell 533i, that im only using for acid drumloops and as a midi sequencer.) did you know that a 667 is really a 666 speed . i wonder if the marketing guys changed this.

you may have satan in your machine crosstalking.

The quality level of your card is not the problem. Of course, it could be defective. I've encountered "electronic noise", but since buying a $30 Ensoniq PCI card (cheapy 16 bit) I've virtually eliminated it (appreciably less noise than normal tape hiss). If my $30 card can do that, your lexicon shouldn't be the problem.

I'm using a Celeron 533 with 128 mg ram.

As for skips and pops, I had that problem when I first registered ntrack. Solved it via buffer settings - haven't had a problem with it since.

Back