Any good books on studio design?

2infamouz

Any books you'd recommend on studio design and/or treating a control room ? I've got a lot of space to work with right now and its unfinished, with no walls up. Basically can do whatever I want, but I'm not going to start until I have a firm understanding of the process

Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros
Phillip Newell - Recording Studio Design
F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics

the first of these is probably the most practical from a construction side, especially for those who aren't well versed in many construction areas. Plus, its only like ~$25

well i've put it off long enough, finally ordered a handful of books and I'll get digging into the subject as soon as they arrive. Again, thanks for the suggestions I picked a couple of them up.
-Ayron

Excellent, I hope they're helpful for you! Which books did you order?

Acoustic Design for the Home Studio
Mitch Gallagher

Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros
Rod Gervais

Master Handbook of Acoustics
F. Alton Everest, Ken Pohlmann
and I also talked to the guy that owns our local music store (instruments/recording gear etc) and he said he's got a bunch of books at home he's going to round up and let me borrow so I should have plenty of subject matter to atleast get started.

Excellent. I actually have never read the Mitch Gallagher book but I've seen it on Amazon plenty of times. Reviews seem positive, plus the book is really cheap if I remember correctly (like $15 or something).

Rod's book focuses more on construction. MHOA is more about understanding acoustics. It is a simple text, but a really nice one for the subject. A great introduction to acoustics. Goes more in depth about theory than Rod's book, but is really light about construction in comparison. Both are quite easy reads for the beginner. Phillip Newell's Recording Studio Design is a great text outlining the exact steps he took in designing some of the world's best studios, the reasons why he took the steps, and the book is overall a great meet of theory and application. More advanced texts like Sound System Engineering by Davis and Petronis and Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusors by Cox and Antonio expand much more on the theory. Not really necessary knowledge for treating a room, but are amazing texts if you wish to further understand the subject and the physical principals involved.

Acoustic Design for the Home Studio
Mitch Gallagher

Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros
Rod Gervais

Master Handbook of Acoustics
F. Alton Everest, Ken Pohlmann
and I also talked to the guy that owns our local music store (instruments/recording gear etc) and he said he's got a bunch of books at home he's going to round up and let me borrow so I should have plenty of subject matter to atleast get started.

So how are you getting on with the Master Handbook of Acoustics?

So how are you getting on with the Master Handbook of Acoustics?

They're all very informative and good reads. I've stepped into a whole other world I wasn't aware of called acoustics...And it's confusing and intricate in here. Also these have made me very aware of my lack of construction/building knowledge. Still working it out but making progress....

They're all very informative and good reads. I've stepped into a whole other world I wasn't aware of called acoustics...And it's confusing and intricate in here. Also these have made me very aware of my lack of construction/building knowledge. Still working it out but making progress....
I am working my way thru Master Handbook of Acoustics. Yes there is a lot to absorb. Just the first chapter on the fundamentals of sound is a handful. Like, air molecules moving. But now I understand a little bit better how sound can move from the basement to the upstairs and how difficult it is to try to contain it. But knowing this and doing something about it are two completely different things.
Right now I am in the chapter on sound absorption and the low frequency resonators section is like.. what? A piece of plywood can dampen 100hz? Who knew? :)

Back