"Any Flavor You Like".....Taste some new RAMI.

R

RAMI

How does this sound? I'm using a new interface (TASCAM US-1800), vocal mic (SE2200II C), relatively new guitar (Epi SG) and amp (Fender Super Champ X 2), etc....blah blah blah.....

Let me know what needs to be fixed, because I'm sure some things will.

Thanx.

ANY FLAVOR YOU LIKE

Very good sir. I like the turnaround in the middle. How are you micing the drums? they sound really well balanced. Kick and bass gel well.:D

Sounds pretty awesome. Nice guitar playing and stuff. Vocals sound excellent. If I'm really nitpicking I think I'd like a little tighten-up in the low end. The bass and kick do work together, and the low end is plenty there, but it's lacking that tight low snap that I usually hear in your kick and bass. Sounds great overall though. Well done.

New mic working great with your voice man. I hear what Greg is missing from your usual. New monitors definitely take a bit to get used to.

Great stuff Rami!

Hey Rami:

Here's what I really dug --- vocals. Great - not much to say about them beyond that. Love that 70's throwback vocal style and sound. Great harmonies and use of doubling. Anthemic but personal. See Bands like "The Trews" for similar sounds/songs in this vein. Great stuff.

About the guitar: Guitar 1 was a bit thin tonally for me -- when the second guitar came in it added depth but was too sonically similar. What was missing for me was true guitar interplay and sonic distinction. Happened to be listening to lots of Aerosmith today and thinking about them, and thinking about AC/DC and Mark Ford and Rich w/ the Crowes -- what I think you'd benefit from here performance wise is using two completely different guitars/amps with different but complimentary sonics -- I like what you're playing but I'm missing some of the seasoning that my ear is craving here. I want more sizzle and hickory - different timbres -- what I'm hearing is too similar.

When the first lead break comes in I'd like to hear that pop out more - much more bite - drive that tube amp and have more sparkle on the tone - more pierce. It's a dramatic moment but tonally slightly underwhelming. You could dig in harder with the pick but I think this is more just needed better punch from the amp. Wanted to hear a biting Boogie tone here.

Coming off that first lead break back into the song there's a drop in the volume of guitar one (expected) but it also replays the licks you just played in the break which kind of takes away from the break itself -- it sucks the drama out of the break -- especially by the time it returns in the second break. Get rid of this repetition of those during the verse - save it just for the two breaks as it's own unique part. Instead this would be a good time to build a few subtle things into guitar one so that its part becomes a little more sophisticated and you can get into more interplay instead of just doubling the guitar parts between 1 and 2.... Make this a more dramatic verse than the first that way.

At 2:00 minutes I didn't like the breakdown -- I thought the song dropped into the hole here. The articulation was wrong - the groove disappeared and the parts you were playing were idiosyncratic in a way that didn't elevate the song. It was completely arbitrary. On my 4th & 5th listen I liked the rest of the song even more - it had me grooving hard - it was infectious -- but then I hated the breakdown even more as well because you killed my groove buzz. Definitely NOT the break for this song. Another test -- Get in your living room and air-guitar to this track and rock out --- then watch and feel what happens to your body when the break comes. Get what I'm saying?

Lead solo -- I still want more punch - I need a bit more piercing tone here -- again maybe an amp issue though the Epi SG might be your issue too.

Bass - I liked the bass but wanted more bite from it too -- more growl in the performance.

This song has some great elements -- there's a few more things I'd suggest or comment on if you are interested - but if I was producing this I would be offering feedback as above.

I listened to this on my vintage 70's stereo system at a real nice volume - Sansui w/ 70's Altec Lansig speakers (model 3 series 2)

Groovy song. Listened to it 4 times. Love the vocals. Not sure if I like the middle slowdown or not--- creates tension while waiting for the groove to start back up but holds interest for me. Like the lead guitar tone at 3:12 towards the end of the song. Great work!

The bass sounds good in my headphones, I'm listening intently to the kick - sounds great.
I don't have the ears for anything else.
The change is unexpected and what you play there is cool and the move back works for me.
Cool stuff.

Weird. The quotes all came out in a different order than they were posted, and it only gave me 5 out of the 6, so I'll respond to Greg's separately.:eek:

New mic working great with your voice man. I hear what Greg is missing from your usual. New monitors definitely take a bit to get used to.

Great stuff Rami!
Thanx man. Yeah, loving the new mic. The monitors are the hardest thing to get used to out of everything that's new.

Hey Rami:

Here's what I really dug --- vocals. Great - not much to say about them beyond that. Love that 70's throwback vocal style and sound. Great harmonies and use of doubling. Anthemic but personal. See Bands like "The Trews" for similar sounds/songs in this vein. Great stuff.

About the guitar: Guitar 1 was a bit thin tonally for me -- when the second guitar came in it added depth but was too sonically similar. What was missing for me was true guitar interplay and sonic distinction. Happened to be listening to lots of Aerosmith today and thinking about them, and thinking about AC/DC and Mark Ford and Rich w/ the Crowes -- what I think you'd benefit from here performance wise is using two completely different guitars/amps with different but complimentary sonics -- I like what you're playing but I'm missing some of the seasoning that my ear is craving here. I want more sizzle and hickory - different timbres -- what I'm hearing is too similar.

When the first lead break comes in I'd like to hear that pop out more - much more bite - drive that tube amp and have more sparkle on the tone - more pierce. It's a dramatic moment but tonally slightly underwhelming. You could dig in harder with the pick but I think this is more just needed better punch from the amp. Wanted to hear a biting Boogie tone here.

Coming off that first lead break back into the song there's a drop in the volume of guitar one (expected) but it also replays the licks you just played in the break which kind of takes away from the break itself -- it sucks the drama out of the break -- especially by the time it returns in the second break. Get rid of this repetition of those during the verse - save it just for the two breaks as it's own unique part. Instead this would be a good time to build a few subtle things into guitar one so that its part becomes a little more sophisticated and you can get into more interplay instead of just doubling the guitar parts between 1 and 2.... Make this a more dramatic verse than the first that way.

At 2:00 minutes I didn't like the breakdown -- I thought the song dropped into the hole here. The articulation was wrong - the groove disappeared and the parts you were playing were idiosyncratic in a way that didn't elevate the song. It was completely arbitrary. On my 4th & 5th listen I liked the rest of the song even more - it had me grooving hard - it was infectious -- but then I hated the breakdown even more as well because you killed my groove buzz. Definitely NOT the break for this song. Another test -- Get in your living room and air-guitar to this track and rock out --- then watch and feel what happens to your body when the break comes. Get what I'm saying?

Lead solo -- I still want more punch - I need a bit more piercing tone here -- again maybe an amp issue though the Epi SG might be your issue too.

Bass - I liked the bass but wanted more bite from it too -- more growl in the performance.

This song has some great elements -- there's a few more things I'd suggest or comment on if you are interested - but if I was producing this I would be offering feedback as above.

I listened to this on my vintage 70's stereo system at a real nice volume - Sansui w/ 70's Altec Lansig speakers (model 3 series 2)
Thanx man. That's way too detailed for me to respond to everything. I will say, though, that the first 2 guitars are supposed to be the same part, doubled. So, there's nothing weird there. It's not a "second" guitar part. It's one guitar part doubled, I just started it with one track coming out of the right side alone. One's an SG, the other's a Strat. So those 2 tracks are actually "Guitar 1". The "lead" or "riff" track is "Guitar 2", really. You did get me thinking about that "riff" track, though. It might be a good idea to have it in the breaks, but to change it in the verses, rather than just keep it going in the verses. I'll look into possibly changing that. I also need to still get to know my amp settings better, too. So some of those tracks that lack bite might get re-done at some point. I know I can get pretty much whatever sound I need from my set up, so it's definitely not the equipment's fault. Thanx for all that.
As for the rest of that, most of it comes down to personal taste and opinion.
Definitely NOT the break for this song
"Definitely" is a strong word when we're talking about taste, but I get it. It's not for you. :)

Groovy song. Listened to it 4 times. Love the vocals. Not sure if I like the middle slowdown or not--- creates tension while waiting for the groove to start back up but holds interest for me. Like the lead guitar tone at 3:12 towards the end of the song. Great work!
Thanx J. That middle part is what it is. :)

The bass sounds good in my headphones, I'm listening intently to the kick - sounds great.
I don't have the ears for anything else.
The change is unexpected and what you play there is cool and the move back works for me.
Cool stuff.
Great. Thanx a lot Ray.

Very good sir. I like the turnaround in the middle. How are you micing the drums? they sound really well balanced. Kick and bass gel well.:D
Thanx buddy. I mic my drums with 4 mics: 2 X AKG C1000 overheads, snare and kik. :cool:

Last edited:
Sounds pretty awesome. Nice guitar playing and stuff. Vocals sound excellent. If I'm really nitpicking I think I'd like a little tighten-up in the low end. The bass and kick do work together, and the low end is plenty there, but it's lacking that tight low snap that I usually hear in your kick and bass. Sounds great overall though. Well done.
Thanx a lot Greg. Still have to get used to my new monitors. Problem is that everything sounds big and beefy through them compared to what I was using before. So, I'll go back and re-mix the low end once I'm able to tell the difference between bass/kik sounds. Right now, they all sound big to me, and I know that's not possible.

Thanx for the opinions so far, everyone.

Thanx a lot Greg. Still have to get used to my new monitors. Problem is that everything sounds big and beefy through them compared to what I was using before. So, I'll go back and re-mix the low end once I'm able to tell the difference between bass/kik sounds. Right now, they all sound big to me, and I know that's not possible.

Thanx for the opinions so far, everyone.
Keep in mind it's not that bad. It's not something you need to go crazy about. I'm really nitpicking about the low end. It's just not as tight and defined to me as your earlier stuff.

How does this sound? I'm using a new interface (TASCAM US-1800), vocal mic (SE2200II C), relatively new guitar (Epi SG) and amp (Fender Super Champ X 2), etc....blah blah blah.....

Let me know what needs to be fixed, because I'm sure some things will.

Thanx.

ANY FLAVOR YOU LIKE

Nitpicky - I don't like the heavy gate on the rhythm guitars. Let that reverb tail off more! ;)

The crashes could come up a hair.

The bass is slightly buried. A very light chorus might help. It doesn't have a lot of bottom end in the mix, but that's more style/preference than mechanics.

The vocals could use some stereo presence. There's lots of tools for that (chorus, stereo panning, reverb even). Nothing drastic, they just feel very plain sitting perfectly middle and stationary when the rest of the mix is energetic.

I hear some digital glitches from time to time. 1:57 2:06 2:11 2:13 2:24 3:24 They're consistently in the same spots so it's something in the mix/conversion. To me it sounds like the sound card is struggling, perhaps increase the latency a touch. Could also be glitches introduced later at upload.

Obviously this is very close to finished. My feedback amounts to minor adjustments, most of the hardest work is done (well). :)

Nitpicky - I don't like the heavy gate on the rhythm guitars. Let that reverb tail off more! ;)
There's no gate on anything. The guitars have the same reverb on them that the drums do. But now you got me thinking that maybe on the guitars, rather than use the same shorter reverb that I have on my drums, I should maybe use the longer plate reverb that I have on my vocals. I'll definitely play with that when I get home later.

The crashes could come up a hair.
Cool. I'll check that out.

The bass is slightly buried. A very light chorus might help. It doesn't have a lot of bottom end in the mix, but that's more style/preference than mechanics.
I'll definitely not put any chorus on my bass, but like I said earlier, I will have to re-visit the low end of this tune once I get used to my monitors, so you may be right on about the bass volume. Funny, with these new monitors, the bass seems so loud to me. But I'm really not used to proper monitoring yet.

The vocals could use some stereo presence. There's lots of tools for that (chorus, stereo panning, reverb even). Nothing drastic, they just feel very plain sitting perfectly middle and stationary when the rest of the mix is energetic.
They're slightly panned, but I like having vocals in the middle. They do have reverb on them. I usually don't like spread out lead vocals.

I hear some digital glitches from time to time. 1:57 2:06 2:11 2:13 2:24 3:24 They're consistently in the same spots so it's something in the mix/conversion. To me it sounds like the sound card is struggling, perhaps increase the latency a touch. Could also be glitches introduced later at upload.
Thanx. I'll look into that. It's definitely not the "sound card" (interface). Might be the MP3 conversion. I don't hear it, but I believe you, so I'll listen closely for it. :)

Obviously this is very close to finished. My feedback amounts to minor adjustments, most of the hardest work is done (well). :)
Thanx a lot man. Much appreciated. :cool:

Keep in mind it's not that bad. It's not something you need to go crazy about. I'm really nitpicking about the low end. It's just not as tight and defined to me as your earlier stuff.

I hear what you're saying. A lot better than I hear what's going on with my low end right now. :D

Funny how, every single time I think a song is finished, people give me a lot of food for thought that makes me realize it's far from finished. That's a good thing, by the way. I hope that nobody thinks that, just because I don't say "I agree" to everything, that I don't try out pretty much every idea presented by people. I really do look into and try almost everything people mention, even the things that I might sound like I disagree with. For example, even though I thought that middle part is really cool, I will consider changing/scrapping/shortening it or something, and maybe come up with something better in the end. So I really appreciate all the help. :cool:

Thanx. I'll look into that. It's definitely not the "sound card" (interface). Might be the MP3 conversion. I don't hear it, but I believe you, so I'll listen closely for it. :)

Once the audio is captured, the sound card plays no role. It is pure software at this point, so if it could be anything, it might be the converters you are using. I am sure I don't have to tell you this, but the sound card is only to capture and to send to/from the real world. If you keep having these issues on conversion, you might want to check your software.

If you keep having these issues on conversion.

I don't actually know that I'm having issues. I never had it before, and I didn't even know it was happening now until it was mentioned, and I can't listen right now to confirm it. I use REAPER like so many others here. I'll have to hear it for myself when I get home.

Hey Rami -cool tune, love the middle bit. I don't have anything to add to the points others have made, sounds great to me. Can you give us some details of the reverbs you use - I always like the sense of space you get in your mixes.

Hey Rami -cool tune, love the middle bit. I don't have anything to add to the points others have made, sounds great to me. Can you give us some details of the reverbs you use - I always like the sense of space you get in your mixes.
You fucker. I hate it when someone comes in and contradicts everything everyone else said. :D (Just kidding). :)

I'm glad the middle part works for you. :cool:

I use 2 reverbs usually. I have Lexicon PCM 90 (I think) impulse pack which include Room, Plate, and Hall. In this tune, and most of my tunes, I use a "Drum room" impulse on everything in varying amounts, and then add a longer "Vocal Plate" reverb to the vocals.

You fucker. I hate it when someone comes in and contradicts everything everyone else said. :D (Just kidding). :)

I'm glad the middle part works for you. :cool:

Hmm, I listened to it last night, maybe I'm misremembering. I'm sure I liked the middle bit best, maybe the transition doesn't work perfectly, or something - I'll have to re-listen some time.

I really liked the middle part.

This is why I don't consider songwriting or arrangement opinions. Mix feedback, sure. Useful. I like to to know how different people hear things on different systems. Writing feedback? No thanks. It's my song and I'm good enough at writing my own music that I can execute my own vision exactly the want I want. If that makes me a self-righteous stubborn dick, then so be it. Some people will like something, some won't. That's just how it is.

Back