Any Electronic Repair Gurus In the House?

gordon_39422

I need help bypassing a fader on an onboard preamp for an Ovation guitar. I NEED this for a gig ASAP, so any help will be grately appreciated!!

You don't give much info, but I'm guessing your fader has shorted out and you have no sound. I'm not a guru but you can bypass the fader by connecting a jumper wire from the wiper terminal (the one that connects to the sliding part of the fader) to the terminal that is farthest away from the circuit ground (the top end of the fader where it would be at max volume).
It's just a varible resistor and you want to bypass it to get sound. You'll be able to figure out if you open it up and try a wire across the connections (keep the sound down on your amp until you've made the connection then turn up a little to try it). When you get full volume, you're there. A temp solder would be a lot more reliable than alligator clips or tape!

Finally got it fixed. I had tried the jumpers before posting, obviously to no avail.... I actually had to reconnect the ground with to the under-saddle transducer, reconnect the transformer to the preamp circuitboard, and the ground from the 1/4" jack was loose as well. Once I fixed those, I reapplied the jumpwire and got crystal clear sounds from my Ovation once again. I find it amazing that the guitar has worked well for the last 12 years. I simply took it down last night to find the culprit that was producing internittent static. Then the water broke and out came the spawn of Satan. I shouldn't have a problem with the guitar again for many years, huh?!? Thanks for the reply!!

Back