any diy'ers here?

I couldn't get that link to work yet, but I have a couple of the Alice microphone kits on the way. They'll be my first diy microphones. Here's the link: http://www.scotthelmke.com/alice-mic.html

I think it is a pro quality microphone based on the sound clips. Tell me that you think.

I don't know about the tape op project. Do you have a link to it?

Yeah, I've done the tape-op mic and some others. I get great results from it. A pair on acoustic guitar is wonderful. Don't go with the Radio Shack capsules. They are OK, but you can do much better. Get the Panasonic WM-61A. You should be able to find them at digikey.com, but there's a minimum order limit.

A great place for info on this stuff is the mic-builders group at Yahoo Groups. Scott Helmke is a member there. There's also a website for Transound capsules (great capsules).

http://www.transsound.net

Last edited:
thanks for that link MrBoogie, i've been looking for it for a while now. couldn't remember the name of the mic so i couldn't find it online. the tape-op forum had a link to it but it's been down for a while now.

those mics look great. i might have to consider picking one of those kits up.

haven't checked the prices though.

thanks again.

later...

Last edited:
Mic Mod kit

Hi e-man. I just joined the site. I bought and made the David Royer mic modifications to the Marshal MXL 2001 mics last year. They had this mod kit ad in tape op mag a while ago. It was a full kit you buy from Majove Audio. They supplied all the parts and even a great manual. You have to buy the mic. Anyway it took a few hours to make one but my god they sound amazing it is a tube mic by the way. Have a look at the site. I can say with all honesty they sound super. My two cents have a good one. jammerkid2002 studio owner and musician and diy'er. working on mic pre and compressor now.

http://prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/buildmic/buildmic_16_1.shtml

hey mr. boogie, this is the link for that tape-op mic project. (i don't know if it pasted correctly in this quick reply window)

also, thanks for that link to transsound philgood, i'll surely use that.

yeah jammer i've seen that royer mod online somewhere. looks cool. might consider that one too. i'm kind of a hack when comes to electronic projects, but i really enjoy the satisfaction of diy.

thanks guys.

later...

groupdiy.com has info about the "Alice" mic and many others including another that i'll eventually build called the "G7."

I recently found about this forum and it was a revelation! :eek:

I've also seen info on the royer mod. Which i have to look into more it sounds like.

rpd said:
It is a cheep build it yourself microphone project :cool:

e-man posted the link above

** bows down** , "you are smart, i am dumb".

Sorry did not catch the link when reading the thread, thanks.

its a project featured in "tape-op" magazine. it shows how to make a condenser microphone using cheap parts (costing about £10) :)
i didnt know till today..but i checked out the link :rolleyes:

Hi guys bad news

Hi guys. Bad news. You cannot get the mic mod kits anymore from Majove Audio the ones from David royer. They are selling the mic redone for $900 US not cheap anymore sorry for the bad news!! jammerkid

jammerkid2002 said:
Hi guys. Bad news. You cannot get the mic mod kits anymore from Majove Audio the ones from David royer. They are selling the mic redone for $900 US not cheap anymore sorry for the bad news!! jammerkid

does anyone know what the kit consisted of?

If you like, I have the (Royer mod) original article, parts list and schematics as a pdf file. If you PM me , I'll email it to you. I also have some circuit board layouts that I designed myself are kind of hinky, but I've done 4 mics with them and they all work.

MrBoogie said:
I couldn't get that link to work yet, but I have a couple of the Alice microphone kits on the way. They'll be my first diy microphones. Here's the link: http://www.scotthelmke.com/alice-mic.html

I think it is a pro quality microphone based on the sound clips. Tell me that you think.

I don't know about the tape op project. Do you have a link to it?

Wow that stereo mic at his site sounds amazing! And he's selling the kits for only 50 bucks a pop! (bit of drilling/sawing/soldering to be done though). I'm so buying 2. Thanks a bunch for the link dude! :)

okay ive been folliwng this topic and the tape-op project seems soo good (cant resist a cheap mic) i was wondering as im a bit of a clutz when it comes to solder whether any of you have built one of these and how hard it was (just to put things to scale: when i was modding an xbox controller i burnt my finger four times....i was only adding 2 or 3 resistors :eek: )

also sorry daav for answering you question after someone else had with a sarcastic tone...i wasnt paying attention ;)

Sorry if I'm going to piss on anyone's parade, but I think that TapeOp project is somewhat obsolete. Unless you really just want to mess around with some diy, your money would be much better spent elsewhere. Consider this: I built a pair of these about a year ago. I had to order most of the resistors in 10-packs or more due to minimum quanities allowed by places like DigiKey, etc. I had to order the XLR assemblies, and all the other parts (including 9-volt batteries and power supply enclosures). All together I spent about $45 on mics that sound...well...homemade. They're not terrible, and certainly usable, but if you're looking for a cheap pair of SDC omni's, why not go with the Behringer ECM8000's? They're cheaper, built better than most of us can do at home, and they don't need external power supplies (which require two cables for each mic).

As I said before, if yo ujust want to get your diy feet wet, or need a project to keep you busy, go for it, but if you're looking for cheap mics to use in your studio, you're looking in the wrong place. This is not to say diy project don't have merit. There are MANY great projects out there, but they usually require a little more money.

My $ .02

-Peter

He is right in may aspects.
DIY is not the cheep route, especially at first because you need to buy the tools, and supplies The better your tools the better your projects will go.

Back