Any difference between these Spirit mixers?

nezpierce

The spirit site has this mixer named "Spirit Notepad" but I saw a few at e-bay named the "Folio Notepad".

Does anyone have either of these and can shed some light on the name change? Also are the preamps as good on these as the M series? I have talked to a few guys who like the Notepads better that the Mackie stuff and just wondered if anyone had some more input?

nP

They're the same. Soundcraft seem to have dropped the "Folio" name. The Spirit Folio F1 is now just the Spirit F1 on their site. The notepad doesn't have the same mic pres as the M series.

Is the M series the one with the Ghost pre's in it? If so, who has them online, and, where you can you ger verification that they are the SAME pre's, and not just "based on" on the pre's in the Ghost? Might have to email thier tech support to find out.

so....

any idea if the pre's in the Folio are at least as good as the Mackie VLZ series?

I like that the folio is so compact, it would rule for a simple 4 mic drum submix providing the pre's aren;t crap

I might still hold out for M-4 but if this will do the trick I may just pick it up anyway...

nP

The one with the Ghost pre's in it should walk all over a Mackie, for the same price, give or take a few $$$... look into it...

OK, looks like they are the same preamp as the Ghost. My only concern is if the power supply is up to par or is it lags like the Mackie, and if the summing bus is decent. With direct outs though, the summing bus should be of little concern to most of us.
www.zzounds.com/a--2676837 has the M4 for $479... THIS just might be the ticket for filler preamps. 4 Ghost preamps for $119 each, and throw in sweepable EQ and 4 stereo channels (can we say "monitor return" anyone?) to boot and that seems a pretty damn good deal. Pretty damn good.
Hmmm.
Anyone see one cheaper?

folio notepad

I have a Folio Notepad, and I really like it. Pre's sound great, and it is so compact. I haven't been able to use it much, as some jerk sent me a virus that thrashed my h/d, but I did some songs on it, and it improved my sound 100%.

Matty

Sold to the man from Saskatoon! hehe

Does the 2-band eq bug you at all? I borrowed a friends 4-track a couple weeks ago and it was only low and high but I guess if its all going into the computer anyway I don't need to worry about it soo much..

Thanx!
nP

Another handy feature on the M series is the S/pdif digital output. Does anyone know the sample rate? It seems to be a closely guarded secret. No mention on their website or literature.

Mark

Well, well, well...theres finally some interest in the M series. Let me make a prediction: mackie's reign as the best bang for the buck has come to an end. Ive seen the M12 go for $625, and the M8 go for $565...thats 12 ghost pres for $52.08 a pre...not too shabby (forgetting about the incredible layout, the routing options, EQ, etc).

Mark, the digital outs are 44.1/24bit--no 48khz option.

hijacked!

I know we all dream of the perfect option and I must admit that the M-8 looms on the horizon for all of us but I don't have the cash just yet so that is why I asked about the folio.

Just a little side note, I lost an auction on Ebay for a new in the box folio, the guy jumped my bid of 104.50 in the last 3 minutes. So I go to Mars last night and they have them on clearance cuz they are dropping Spirit. I paid 79.99! hehe Too bad they don't carry the M=series......

nP

Hey Pilgrim, where did you see those M-series prices?

notepad folio

Nezpierce

The two band eq is no trouble for exactly the reason you mentioned. I just get as close as I can, and eq a little in the mixing stage if I find I need to. Having good mics helps. Good to see you got a good deal.

Matty

I'd also like to know where JuSumPilgrim saw those prices on the M's. Sounds pretty killer.

Another question: I like the looks of these M-series boards a lot, but I wonder what in the world I'd ever do with 4 stereo inputs?

Back