Any Diff in Ebony Pinstripe and Clear Pinstripe?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
The Clear are 2 layers of 7 mil and the Ebony are 2 layers (1)5mil and (1)10 mil... How different do you think they will sound?

I've been using Aquarian Studio-X for a few months and have been thinking of trying either Pinstripes or the Evans EC2.

& why I'm asking about the Pinstripes... I just think the Ebony would look Cool :D

Thanks,
B.

Booda said:
The Clear are 2 layers of 7 mil and the Ebony are 2 layers (1)5mil and (1)10 mil... How different do you think they will sound?

I've been using Aquarian Studio-X for a few months and have been thinking of trying either Pinstripes or the Evans EC2.

& why I'm asking about the Pinstripes... I just think the Ebony would look Cool :D

Thanks,
B.

i'm wondering about that too...because my cousin normally uses the clear pinstripes on his kit, and he bought some ebony pinstripes because he thought they would look cool. he hasn't put them on yet though because the clears he has on right now are still pretty new.

ummmmmm............the ebonies are darker? :D :p :eek:

(seriously, i played ebony pinstripes for years and they're darker sounding than the clear ones. the same goes for the ambassadors.)

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
(seriously, i played ebony pinstripes for years and they're darker sounding than the clear ones. the same goes for the ambassadors.)
cheers,
wade

The ambassadors too? Interesting and thanks for the "Heads Up" :D

I'm somewhat thinking of putting a Ambassador on my 12" tom and the Pinstripes on my 13" & 16".

I got this kit 2 years ago and it had coated Ambassadors on the 12" & 13" w/ a Emperor on the 16". For the first time I was really liking the more Open sound and the 12" tom sounded great while the 13" was Ok at best. I then tried the Studio-X thinking it would be a good compromise between the Open kit and a more focused sound for recording. It's kinda funny but the 13" became the best sounding Tom where b4 it was very lifeless. Now the 12" is somewhat lifeless.

Anyway... the StudioX were good but I think this kit can sound better.

Do many people ever put 2 ply heads on the Reso side? I'm thinking my 16" might do better with a 2 ply on the Reso side... Or I might put the StudioX I have on it and put it on the Reso when I get new heads. ???

Thanks for the Input,
B.

yeah, the ambassadors too. at least, that's my experience. granted, tuning and playing technique and the drums themselves go a long way towards determining what is "dark" and what's not.

i keep going a different direction on my pearl kit every time i change heads. it was ebonies for a long time (b/c i liked the way they looked, mostly :eek:), then evans g2's, now back to clear pinstripes.

my mid-60's ludwig kit gets a combination of coated ambassadors on top and clear on the bottoms. that's just a winning combo on that one.

a quote from neil peart comes to mind, "heads, like minds, are subject to change."

cheers,
wade

You're scaring me. I have a Pearl with Pinstripes and a '60s Ludwig with Ambassadors. Are you stalking me?

Back