any clever tricks for recording with desktop modellers?

guitz

things like making lead tracks sound more realistic...'verb or eq settings for simulating a live mic'd cabinet...creative ways of sending the guitar signal simultaneously into two devices ,etc...anyone ever read that article about how SRV got alot of his recorded tones on his last studio album by miking up about 10 different amps, and then mixing them all at the board into a single track, etc? how about using something like an art tube preamp, those little single channel jobs , and run that into the front end of your modeller?

You should do some searching, this topic comes up all the time. I'm of the opinion that you'll never really get what you're looking for unless you mic up a good amp, but that's just me.

jonnyc said:
You should do some searching, this topic comes up all the time. I'm of the opinion that you'll never really get what you're looking for unless you mic up a good amp, but that's just me.

I agree with you, but it's not a practical thing for alot of folks....any thoughts on isolation cabs, like this?
AxeTrak ...seems like it would solve the loudness issue, but the speaker looks awfully small!

I Have got some pretty good results using small amps and driving them hard, there has been quite alot of classic tracks cut using small amps. i dont think anything beats micing a real amp but like you say not everyone can have the luxory. In terms of using modelers i would say that in order to get a good sound you have to expirement with the settings, dont stick to the factory presets. Some of the modelers are pretty good at simulating "tone" of amps but i find its the space in which they are in that makes or breaks the sound of the track. i usually back off the reverb quite alot to simulate the amp being closer to the mic. Other than that its just a case of expirementing and being a servant of the song.

Back