any cheap 16 simultaneous recording?

Hi, guys! I have been using Cubase 5 for a period of time, but have mostly recorded one track at a time...I am using a Windows 7 64-bits, and have connected a Tascam DM4800 Digital Mixer thru Firewire connection. I have tried reading a lot about multitrack recording, and when I tried recording vocals, and a guitar simultaneously, I coudlnt make it...Here's my setup:

I have 24 tracks available inputs on my TASCAM mixer. I put the microphone to channel input nr. 1( On my TASCAM MIXER), and the guitar thru an xlr-cable into channel input nr. 7( TASCAM MIXER). I also have a stereo track, running my laptop with some backing music, which I put on channel input 3-4.
I went into the VST CONNECTIONS-INPUT and added two mono busses, where I connected the MONO IN with the DEVICE PORT 7( Channel Input 7) to, and the MONO IN 2( Channel Input 1) with the `DEVICE PORT 1. What happened was that when I try to create an Audio Track in a project, for my guitar( AUDIO TRACK 1), there is no metering showing except for that there is signal on the MONO IN 2 Input....:))But, the strange thing happens when I connect the guitar channel ( AUDIO TRACK 1)to the MONO IN 2( ( but my guitar is physically still connected to INPUT nr. 7 on the mixer), then I get like a signal bleed thru the MONO IN2 ...So, my question is, is does the TASCAM MIXER NOT support Multichannel Recording, or is there any other way to fix this??? I included a picture that shows my setup.VST CONNECTIONS.jpg

A Presonus FireStudio and a Digimax would do the trick. Here's an example diagram...
http://www.presonus.com/media/diagrams/FireStudio 2626 for mobile recording.pdf

Just for the two Presonus pieces of gear you'll be spending about $1100.00

I would love to +1 this, but the firestudio 26 was the biggest pieces of shit I have ever tinkered with. Actually the Studio Live 16.4.2 (firestudio drivers) was equally as bad, I have never dealt with such buggy shit ever. The firestudio was a nightmare to get it to clock right and the included DSP mixer deal for both was a buggy piece of shit.

Don't believe me? Just head over to the presonus forums and have a look, it's insane.

If you go B stock (and can find them b stock) a digimax D8 and profire 2626 will run you around $800. I've had mine for a couple years now without issue and you still get the man warranty with B stock stuff.

The two best deals on hardware for me are the Allen & Heath "Ice16" or "Ice16D" starting around $699 on ebay they give you 16 in 16 out true flex and will run well with most all the popular DAW's. If you don't have a mixer or mic pre's yet, the Presonas Studio Live 16 has amazing power and flex and all in the digital domain.
After teaching Recording Science at Austin Community College for 18 years and owning two different professional studios with thousands and thousands of dollars of gear it never ceases to amaze me how much you can do in the digital world with a few thousand dollars.

The two best deals on hardware for me are the Allen & Heath "Ice16" or "Ice16D" starting around $699 on ebay they give you 16 in 16 out true flex and will run well with most all the popular DAW's. If you don't have a mixer or mic pre's yet, the Presonas Studio Live 16 has amazing power and flex and all in the digital domain.
After teaching Recording Science at Austin Community College for 18 years and owning two different professional studios with thousands and thousands of dollars of gear it never ceases to amaze me how much you can do in the digital world with a few thousand dollars.

It never ceases to amaze me when newbies come to these forums and dredge up old threads and somehow never see the date!
Welcome to the HR.com forums! :rolleyes:

Back