Any body knows how to make a mic with the same best quality as known microphones?

Dimetre

Please help me make a nice mic so I can have a mic for recording vocals cheaper. any diagrahms? HOW TO MAKE/CUSTOMIZE the best vocal microphone?

it's not impossible, BUT...

what you are asking is a very big question. building a VERY basic mic is not that difficult at all (you can even use a speaker), but a great vocal mic is a different story. i have seen some mods for cheaper mics (like oktava mk 219) posted here and around the web. there may be some folks here who are willing to lead you in the right direction, but i would do a little research on the web for mic mods, and then see if it is something you want to get into.
good luck - jv
(manning1 might be your guy... he builds a lot of stuff)

See if you can get your hands on a copy of the January 2002 issue of Recording magazine. It has a DIY article on modifying microphones made at a Shanghai factory. This factory makes microphones marketed (as of January 2002) by ADK, Audix, NADY, Marshall (including the V67G) and others.

If you can't find the magazine, try sending an email to dorsey@recordingmag.com or contact
Kludge Audio
PO Box 1229
Williamsburg, VA 23187-1229

Track Rat said:
Take a coat hanger and bend it into a loop.............

Then take some Saran Wrap, put it over the loop, and tighten it up.

Cut the lid off a coffee can............

Get tin can>tie wire from tin can to USB input>cover end of can with saran wrap>speak into can>try different positions/distances of can to get most pleasing vocal timbre>post report here.

...you can make a really crappy sounding mic out of an old walkman speaker. that's the extent of my technical ability concerning microphones.

DKMurphPr said:
See if you can get your hands on a copy of the January 2002 issue of Recording magazine. It has a DIY article on modifying microphones made at a Shanghai factory. This factory makes microphones marketed (as of January 2002) by ADK, Audix, NADY, Marshall (including the V67G) and others.

If you can't find the magazine, try sending an email to dorsey@recordingmag.com or contact
Kludge Audio
PO Box 1229
Williamsburg, VA 23187-1229
What he said.

In my opinion, it isn’t feasible to make a capsule and a body when decent ones are already available in the generic Chinese mics out there. What you CAN do is improve the head amplifier used in them. The Dorsey mod is a good way to do this and it’s well worth the effort and expense. Here’s a link to most of the info, but you still have to get the magazine for all the information.

Here’s a good cheap mic to perform the mod on. You could probably do it all for around $100. I did this to a cheap Cascade mic I got from Bayview and it has become one of my favorite vocal mics.

Better European capsules can be had, but they’re expensive – Anywhere from $350 on up. So you see, building a better mic isn’t out of the question, but I’d get some practical experience modifying existing ones first.

Re: Re: Any body knows how to make a mic with the same best quality as known microphones?

crazydoc said:
Good job, it looks like your the only one in the thread who tried to answer the question... and I applaud you for doing so.

Dimetre,

It really depends on your level of skills. Do you know how to solder, do you have basic knowledge of electronics, have you ever done any DIY?
As said, it would be much easier to take some chipo mic and upgrade, or mod it. But don't let anybody to discourage you. Yes, it is possible to make a world class mic for... heh, muuuuch less, considering the final quality.

Very good example is a G7 mic:

www.gyraf.dk

Also, sometime ago I made my first version of ribbon mic.

http://marik22.tripod.com

Although since then I completely rethought the entire design and now am making second and third versions, it's still a very nice sounding mic for under $100 per channel.

And I forgot to mention that it is also worth to have a look at D. Royer mods at:

www.mojaveaudio.com

Click on the left to the "Press"

Also, somewhere on internet (don't remember the link from top of my head) there is Scott Dorsey's SS mod.

Marik said:

Also, sometime ago I made my first version of ribbon mic.

http://marik22.tripod.com

Although since then I completely rethought the entire design and now am making second and third versions, it's still a very nice sounding mic for under $100 per channel.

Nice photos, but no words. I'd be interested to see some explanations of the mic design and process of building it.

DJL said:
Me too... I'll second that.

Don't you need to see the guys resume and do some forensic tests to determine if those are actual photographs or just reggaetech images???

Back