any advantage in erasing tapes externaly?

TinNedd

Is there any advantage in erasing tapes whith an external tape eraser? Would it improve the tape for recording or would it make it worse?

---

Is there any advantage in erasing tapes whith an external tape eraser? Would it improve the tape for recording or would it make it worse?
---

Generally speaking, yes, the so called bulk tape erasers are best for this purpose, offering the cleanest erasure. Which tape eraser do you have in mind and which tape?

Iv been pondering about picking up a bulk eraser for quarter inch tape for stereo recording, but reel2reel has an erasing head too. So, by using bulk eraser the tape would have been erased twice when making that next recording.

---

full erase

Bulk erasure is needed when going from 1/4" quarter track to half track or the other way. It ensures that you don't have any signal in the guard band between tracks to pick up. Ditto when the prior use heads were mis-aligned and printed to the guard and.

Plus it sets a uniform noise floor.

My vote is yes to erasing as well. Back in the day we erased every new tape right before use... audio and Pro video, and I still do in my personal studio.

It's hard to find them new except for the Geneva models, but they cost a lot.
http://www.nationalavsupply.com/Product.aspx?DeptID=7&ClassID=73&SubClassID=285&ProdID=2386

Some professional models to look for on eBay:

Inmac Data Strike 7180
RCA R60
Magneraser 200
Videoraser VX-1401 and VX-1601

The Realistic 44-233A will also work fine for cassette and ¼” reels. But make sure it is the 233A and not just the 233. The one with the ‘A’ suffix has more power.

There are a thousand models. I'm just recommending these off the top of my head.

:)

Last edited:
+1 to everything said. I have a pro 2-track machine with good erasure, but I still got a bulk eraser on FleaBay just to get that complete 'wipe-out' only a big magnet can do.
For good signal-to-noise, this is the first step.

C.

Bulk erasure is needed when going from 1/4" quarter track to half track or the other way. It ensures that you don't have any signal in the guard band between tracks to pick up.

This is not entirely true. Some decks (including the Otari MX5050 I have) have an erase head in which there are no gaps between the two channels, ensuring erasure on the full width of the tape. ;)

This is not entirely true. Some decks (including the Otari MX5050 I have) have an erase head in which there are no gaps between the two channels, ensuring erasure on the full width of the tape. ;)

True, but that’s an exception. Ethan’s observation is correct, generally speaking, especially when you’re using a tape that was recorded half-track that you want to use on another machine that is quarter track or multitrack of some kind.

Most erase heads are split, but even those that aren’t can’t saturate the tape with alternating flux like a bulk eraser can. An erase head just can’t randomize the domains to that degree. It's not fully erased.

By the way, those MX5050's with the head to playback quarter-track are pretty handy. I like some of the Technics 1500 series models for the same reason.

Thanks

Thanks, I did not know that for the Otari. I imagine that thhat applies to the 2 track and not to a 4 track (typically).

--Ethan

what about the "swishing" and "hum" sound from using a bulk eraser such as the Tandy type? Could the magnetic effectiveness of the tape be reduced by repeated bulk erasing?

---

what about the "swishing" and "hum" sound from using a bulk eraser such as the Tandy type? Could the magnetic effectiveness of the tape be reduced by repeated bulk erasing?

'Swish/hum' in my experience means either you didn't do the de-magging correctly or the eraser is too low-powered to handle the tape.

Reducing effectiveness? You are basically re-aligning the magnetic particles on the tape when you erase it, so it's closer to new again. The one wear you will get on a tape over time is from using it on a recorder.

Best,
C.

But make sure it is the 233A and not just the 233. The one with the ‘A’ suffix has more power.

Would any regular bulk tape eraser not work as well? Maybe the tape would come out "patchy" with previously recorded material coming in and out? :confused:

I'm kinda curious about this too. I got one of those Realistic bulk erasers and either I'm not doing it correctly or its not quite strong enough to do the job because it doesn't always erase completely.

You'll need about 1400 gauss or more to erase 1/2" tape. The Realistic 44-233A is 1100 gauss and will do the job for cassette and 1/4" reels.

You could also be using it wrong. You have to turn it on about 2 feet away from the tape, bring it in slowly and move it in a circular motion against the reel from the center hub out… about 5 to 10 seconds on each side, depending on the size of the reel. Then slowly move it away (2 inches/second) before turning off. Then do the same thing with the other side of the reel.

If you turn the eraser on or off right next to the reel there is a spike that will cause uneven erasure. If you use an eraser that is underpowered for the size of the tape you’ll get that swishing, or buzzing noise, instead of a smooth consistent hiss.

Bulk erasure is the way to go just to save one more cycle of tape wear by not feeding it through the heads.

I have an old Ampex 1" bulk eraser, It looks like a seventies microwave oven. Just open the door load the reel and 20 seconds later the tape is as silent as new. There were many cheap ones available in the 60s and 70s, I would avoid those, Paul

It's kind of funny that I should find this thread today. I have an old OKI 555 reel to reel 1/4" 4-track recorder that was made in the early 1960's. My grandfather died a couple of weeks ago and I got a Realistic 44-232 Bulk Tape Eraser from his house. I am using the OKI as a mix down deck for an "alt-country" album that I am recording this month for something called the RPM Challenge - www.rpmchallenge.com.

I only have one reel of 1/4" tape to record on so I wanted to use the Bulk Tape Eraser to make sure it is as ready to record on as possible. The only thing was I had no idea how to use it until I read this thread and Beck's comments today. So I guess I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info.

Just got hold of this eraser looks like it's a CCTV security VHS eraser?

No manual included so it's trial & error to work out how best to use it?

1/4" & 1/2" tapes should be OK?

Attachments

• eraser.jpg
    eraser.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 66
Back