Anteres Mic Modeler

No, absolutely not. However, most people don't know that their favorite artists can't play and/or sing in perfect tune all the time either (read: autotune). I would certainly rather have the real thing, as would all of us I suppose. I'm just looking for someone who has done a side by side comparison to tell me either 'Don't waste you money you fool' or 'it's the next best thing'. Quite frankly, my acoustic guitar doesn't sound very nice through an SM57.

I'll put your vote down in the 'Don't waste your money fool' category. :)

Hawking said:
Has anyone heard the Antares Microphone Modeler in action? If so did you A/B it with the real thing(s)? I've downloaded the 10 day demo, but I don't have the real thing to compare it to.

http://www.antarestech.com/products/amm.html

Are we talking POD quality modeling, or is it actually passable? Although there is no substitute for the real thing, it would be nice to have pseudo-access to all of those wonderful microphones.
I have an Antares AVP-1 and it has 'some' of their mic modeler patches... they're kind of fun toys and I may find a place to use the effect someday. Get the mic's. :)

Another vote for 'Don't waste your money fool'

Still no comparisons yet though.... Maybe the people who own the real deal wouldn't be caught dead with mic modeling software.

Hawking said:
Another vote for 'Don't waste your money fool'

Still no comparisons yet though.... Maybe the people who own the real deal wouldn't be caught dead with mic modeling software.

Its good for playing with the proximity affect.
If I remember correctly,, I think I once used the Tube Saturation or something to fix a bad Vox tracking.

as for the Mics,,, Your source mic has to be the real mic for your input, then you use the MIc Mod output with your selcted mic.

Seems like the mic choices are just some EQ settings or something.

Malcolm

Well, it was a pretty long time ago when I compared them so I don't remember the details... but, I do remember when compared, the mic modeler sucked. But thinking from an "effect" view point... it might be a cool effect on something.

like DJL mentionned

I have the plugin. No, you wont transform you 57 in an U87. BUT, you can really get some cool colors on your vocal tracks with this plugins. :)

I almost try it on every vocals I record. Just to hear a few presets. Sometimes I end up with good results.

But, obviously, you cant say "I transformed this mic into this mic with the plugins" ...gna. :)

I bought this as a VST plug a while ago when I had some extra cash. I put it in the "classy toy" category, but it can be a useful toy.

I once saved a day's worth of recording layered backing vocals with it. I tracked too many takes with the same mic and the signature of that mic and room built up. I whipped out the modeler the next day when I heard how crappy it sounded and jumbled it up a bit. Sounded MUCH better.

So, I'd say if you have a small collection of decent mics, this plug can go a long ways towards keeping things fresh without buying new mics. If you don't have a few decent mics, spend the money on the read things first.

Since switching to Pro Tools, I can't use the VST plug anymore and I don't really miss it at all. If I want a different sound I'll use a different mic or place it differenctly.

And here's a secong vote for the coolness of the tube and proximity controls. :D Not real, but who cares? If it sounds good where you use it, it is good.

Take care,
Chris

Ive been quite happy when using it to fatten up lead vocal tracks. Sure it doesnt sound like you've tracked it through a M49. But it adds a nice eq characteristic to it which really thickens up a thinner sounding vocal take. Ie one tracked through a Beta 58 in a bright room.

Meshuggah said it. Very nice plugin.
It's nice to play around with Mic Mod as well.

"What if my SM57 turning into Newman... Click... hhmmm... not bad... how if into U87... click... hhmmm... crunchy... what if... what if... hhmmm hhmmm...."

;)
Jaymz

Back