Antares Mic Modeler

nessbass

Has anyone tried the demo yet?

I downloaded it two days ago and couldn't let go until today - and that just because I'm going to write an exam. I can definitely recommend that thing. It is great!
I think it can really solve problems, especially for us low-budget homereccers. Last time I recorded the drummer of my band we wanted to get a stereo overhead sound, but didn't have two mics of the same kind, so we used an AKG C3000 along with an AKG C1000S. They're both okay, but not the best. With the Mic Modeler, I modeled those two into two Neumann KM 184 and WOW :D ! That's where the sound is!

So test that stuff and let me know how it was!

David

Its an EQ program!If a bit of software can make your mike sound like a Neumann,my granny is a '38 Buick.

Tom

It can probably make one GOOD mic sound somewhat like any other mic of equivalent or lesser quality, but I doubt very much that it can make a plastic Radio Shack mic sound like a U87. It still might be useful as a tone shaping effect though.

I agree!

I can't see how software can ever truely capture the nuance of mechanical transference. It is code vs. an ever changing physical environment. Just not the same thing.

For that matter, I haven't heard two SM 57's that totally sounded the same. That would basically screw up any modeling softwares scheme.

This software could be a useful tool, but will never replace a decent sounding mic in any way. You would just have to hear a C12 through a Telefunken to understand...:)

Have fun.

I never claimed any of that!

In my case, it modified the sound of one of the mics to fit the sound of the other mic better. Apart from that we used an AKG D112 for the kick. But as you might know, it produces quite huge kick, that is not always wanted, especially for rather acoustic sounds. So model that one into an EV PL20 and there you go! You could even change it into a U47, if you wanted to, but of course this thing is limited. Especially when it comes to turning a dynamic mic into a condenser, you will reach limits - definitely.
What I found so cool about it (and still do) is, that if I've got a certain sound in my head, but the mic I used didn't seem to ba appropriate, I could start and EQ a lot. Instead you turn on this baby and it pushes the sound into the direction you want it to go, without having to use tons of EQ fiddling or rerecording. That's what I wanted to say.

Cheers, David

I heard it demo'd at Digiworld in Miami. It sounded very effective, especially being to 'move' the mic a certain distance from the source. It had a pronounced effect upon the sound, whether eq or modelling I don't know and don't care: it sounded good.

Re: I agree!

Sound Cracker said:
I can't see how software can ever truely capture the nuance of mechanical transference. It is code vs. an ever changing physical environment. Just not the same thing.

For that matter, I haven't heard two SM 57's that totally sounded the same. That would basically screw up any modeling softwares scheme.

Agreed!

]Originally posted by Sound Cracker
This software could be a useful tool, but will never replace a decent sounding mic in any way. You would just have to hear a C12 through a Telefunken to understand...:)

Have fun.

ahhhh, music to my ears :)

why.....?

Why is there constant debate on this BBS (called HOME recording.com) about top of the line Pro equipment vs affordable, get the job done for us lowlife's equipment? There is more ego massaging going on here than respecting someone elses creativity and effort. It's kinda like the guy we all know who spends thousands of dollars on the greatest guitar equipment available...but he still can't play guitar. But then there's a little kid in his bedroom playing a beat up Teisco and he's ripping the strings off that baby and tearin it a new asshole because he has talent, and he can make that little Teisco sing. So what if you have the best of everything? Does that mean we are all inferior because you have a different opinion? Does that mean you make better music than any of us? It seems to me like it's "big fish in a little pond" syndrome. If you wanna talk Pro equipment to Pro's, there is a site called ProRec. Us poor people have to deal with what we have and can afford. So Telefunkens are not an issue to us. And if my Antares Mic Modeller can get me a little better sound than I already have, which it does, then who cares?
Sorry to go off, but this site was made for Home-Reccers.

Woah sparky! Slow down.....

RockinRobert, you may have taken the responses here a bit out of context. Maybe you didn't.

I don't know these other guys, and what kind of experience they have in recording, but I have recorded artists for quite some time now. I hear all sorts of claims about how such and such is so good, and this and that is "f*cking amazing!" and disk and dat is "like the real thing". Judging from the responses to this topic here, it would seem that these other guys have too. What I haven't experienced much of is these claims actually being true. Call me a snob because I was fortunate enough to be able to track some stuff with a C12 through a Telefunken on certain occasions! I don't mind. But, I certainly can't afford to buy those units for my own setup right now. But, thank the sound gods that I DID get to use some of this stuff, because it has saved me from spending good money on stuff that will in the end disappoint me!

I have a few friends that go out and buy the next $300 miracle box thinking it is the solution to their audio problems. 2 months later, their stuff still sounds like crap. But, they invite me over with my modest, yet, quality gear that cost a bit more then they were willing to spend (especially microphones, in which it would seem that many around here don't have very good taste in) and they are amazed that I get such great sounds out of it. Do they run out and buy some decent mics? Not usually. That would be money that they couldn't spend on the next $300 miracle box that will solve their audio problems.

I will never back down on a microphone and/or monitor discussion. You either get quality, time proven components in these two areas, or you will always be compromising your sound in a major way. These are the two areas where modeling and software code just cannot replicate real life. The issues on the why of this are vastly complicated, and I wouldn't ever try to approach describing them here because I would be writing well into the weekend non-stop! But, mechanical transference is what audio recording is all about! Little to big sound waves which are very real exist in the air and are either captured or reproduced in the recording environment. How this is done, and the quality of the components used to do it are of paramount importance to the outcome of the recording.

My above listed friends are always complaining a couple months after buying their "wonder boxes" why their audio doesn't sound realistic. Sure, they get "clear" sound, and "controlled" sound, but not "realistic" sound. Microphones and monitors are the most important aspect of getting "realistic" sound.

So, my point is that instead of paying money for a code that "models" what you want, you would be better off paying a bit more money and getting the real deal, especially in any device in the recording chain that does mechanical transference. A good set of monitors and a great mic will last you for years to come. They are worth the price you pay for them in helping achieve much better results in the tracking process, thus making "modeling" code not needed.

Well, this may not be very convincing to you as an arguement. You really couldn't call me a gear snob in any way because I will use whatever is there and make the most of it at the time. But, you will never hear me give glowing reviews of stuff that doesn't really work the way it is advertised. Mic modeling and amp modeling don't!

You would have to hear the real stuff to understand.

Stive for quality, not a compromise, and you will be a happy camper and have far less headaches down the road.

Good day!

Yo Sound Cracker - may I add that a little extra spent on acoustics will make those monitors sound heaps better also.

Oh BTW I mean acoustics, not that foam stuff that just sucks out the highs from your room.

cheers
john

Hey John Sayers!

Pleasure to see you post in a same thread.

I took a look at your online recording manual thing and really thought the acoustic sections were very well presented. Thank you for such a valuable resource on the web. Some of those studios you have designed are smashing to look at, and I am sure sound great. That room with the piano in it on your most recent project is simply ingenius! Movable wall panels! That sunset in the back of the control room is really neat too. That is a place I could work at for hours with all that beautiful wood around me.

I agree, a good room really will make some genelec's or Event's sing! It is amazing that people think carpet on every wall surface is the key to making a room "tuned" or something. The foam stuff is okay I guess if you have no other choice, but low end problems should be dealt with first. I can remember too many rooms where the low end was really confusing and mixing the kick and bass guitar was a guess until I got it in a car system.

I suppose you could say that your room is part of the mechanical transference deal. Resonant frequencies and phase issues are very real things to deal with, and good construction is the key here also, and mostly, there are time proven methods of dealing with it all. That appears to be right up your alley! Me, I like to play with the knobs and look at pretty lights. All those calculations would deliver me to the nut house in a day! :eek:

Good day!

Back