Antares Mic Modeler

dmcsilva

I saw someone post about this the other day and I've been waiting for a demo of it. I downloaded it last night and applied it to some acoustic guitar tracks that I had previously recorded with an sm57. This plug-in is awesome! I have no freakin clue as to whether or not the mic models actually accurately represent the originals; I haven't heard 98% of the mics modeled. But I sure like what it does to the sound. This plug-in breathed a lot of life into tracks that were previously lacking. I would like to hear from others who have tried it...particularly those who have actually used some of the simulated mics. Thanks for responding.

dmc

I Hadn't thought of that yet; I'll give it a shot. By the way, I think you username is from one of the funniest movies ever. Watch out for those damned rodeo clowns.

dmc

This plugin does Rock!! Lie to it and you will get some really good sounds.. Tell it you recorded with a mic you didnt and then model another it comes out with some really cool sounds..

http://www.mp3.com/codyyoung

I've only fiddled with it a little
But I like what I've heard so far.
I can get lots of different colors while only recording with one SM57

On the other hand, I've never used a condenser or any high end dynamic mic so I have no idea if the modeled mics come anywhere close to the real thing.

Something about these mike modeler software and hardware thingies bugs me. One of the BIG differences between an sm57 and a good condenser mike is the amount of "detail" they capture. How in the heck is some software algorithm gonna add that?

WARNING!!! WARNING!!!

If you do NOT think of "these mike modeler software and hardware thingies" as "microphone modelers" and think of them more as "just another tool" as you would reverb, eq, compression, etc., you and these FX will most likely be taken a lot more seriously by your peers in the "recording industry".

This is just my opinion.

I downloaded the free trial software some time ago and thought it was pretty cool. I particularly liked the tube preamp section. I liked fiddling with that to add warmth to tracks. It's pretty cool software...

However, I totally agree with RE. If you buy the Pod, V-Drums, the Mic Modeler and stuff like it with the idea that you're buying a $300 answer to every mic, or amp, or drum out there you're wrong. It shouldn't be viewed that way. By all means, buy the product and make kick ass music with it, you will certainly be able to do that. But can you add characteristics and detail to a mic that originally had none? No.

Yes, Track Rat, thingies. from the latin, thingicus, meaning "I don't know what the heck to call it". :-O hehe
Anyone know exactly what those algorithms do to the sounds? Just changing the eq curve? Or are they more complex than that?
Are those sonic foundry "acoustic mirror" impulse "thingies" any good?

Mr. Boogie, to answer your question about the SF Acoutic Mirror... Well, yes. In the same way, you have to use it as an effect and approach it that way. I use the AM on just about everything I do. Mainly I use it for reverb. I have a set of impulse files from Samplitools, that is taken from the presets of the Lexicon 480L and TC M5000 processors. They are the wamrest, most natural sounding reverbs I have used. Some of the SF impulses are mediocre, some of them are really good. They have some good reverbs in there too.

In relation to this thread, before I used the Antares Mic Modeler, I used the Acoustic Mirror with the new Shure impulses to model a KSM32. It really did a nice job on the sound. This was on a vocal track that was recorded on a SM58. (The track was sent to me via the net on a collab I worked on.)

I've also used the AM with the Beamsonic impulse files to "simulate" some studio equipment. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't. As with any toy... experiment. :)

Back