Answer my unanswered question!!!

StevieThunders

Ok. There have been many, many, many threads like this. But none of them give the answers I'm looking for. If there is another thread, please redirect me and delete this one.

I'm very, very interested in making a home studio. Only for my own benefit, I wouldn't be charging anybody, just recording my own band, maybe a friend's band here and there, or whatever side project my crazy mind thinks of.

So what I'm saying is, it's just drums, guitars, bass, and vocals. I don't need perfect quality, JUST quality. I already have the drum mics chosen, and 2 of my drum mics can be used for micing guitar and bass amps, and I have the vocals mic and pop screen picked as well.

But when it comes to mixers, recorders, software, hardware. I don't know anything. I'm waiting on a job that will get me roughly $570/wk. and as an 18 year old that only has to worry about gas and car insurance, I can spoil myself. So, I'm on a mid budget, so I don't NEED the best, but I don't WANT crap.

What are the bare essentials? What are some RECOMMENDED extras? Brand names to trust, and the ones not to?

I know I'm asking a lot, but it will help me SO much!!!

P.S.: I want between 16 and 24 tracks, that's all I know.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok. Here is what I say:

1) Find software that you like (cubase, protools, logic, ect ect) Some hardware products come with multi tracking programs, or some offer demos that you can try out. There is lots of threads about the differents pros, cons ect of all the different audio mutli tracking software out there.

2) Get a decent computer - or upgrade the ram on the computer you have now (www.newegg.com) 1 gig of ram or more is cool.

3) Firewire hardware with atleast 8 inputs so that you can record a full drum set - or if you do a simple set up, full drum and a guitar or two. Used motu 896 or there are other affordable good firewire set ups, run a search.

3) a few mics

4) good headphones

later on

5) decent monitors

6) preamp and compressor (FMR audio RNP +RNC)

7) many more mics

or you can just get one of those all in one multi track recorders, but I think that getting a computer system gives you more flexability and upgradability.

..i might just want to add that getting into building your own studio for whatever reason is never cheap if you want quality. it is very addicting (at least for me) and if this is something that you really want to do, build create, learn, and continue to do...then do it. otherwise its probably better to save and go to a good studio when your band has some $$$.

Well, most decent recording software and a decent computer will give you at least 40 tracks, so you don't have a problem there. I agree with the idea of shooting for about eight simultaneous inputs, that will give you plenty of rope to hang yourself with. Interface, low end would be 1010, high end Fireface (which would give you 4 decent pres, too). Get a 4-8 input ADAT pre, and maybe a couple channels for special occasions, like an RNP, a couple of Bricks, or whatever. Eight channels is adequate for micing up a drum kit, and you can also record a whole band live, by exibiting a little restraint. Drums: snare, kick, one OH, five channels left for vox, guitars, bass, saxamaphone, bassoon, whatever.

I ended up with a Multiface II and an Onyx 800r, about $1650 total. Works so far.

I suggest that you maybe look into one of those "Alesis 16Ch Firewire Mixers" as they will let you Record 16 seperate Tracks to your PC Via Firewire Port on your PC....

A Friend of Mine Just got one and it is a pretty awesome Little Unit and it has Good quality A/D and D/A Converters and it has Good quality Mic pre-amps(8) and they cost about $600 which is probably the Cheapest Unit for getting 16 Tracks of recording at the Same Time and it is Compatible with most all Recording software....

If I had the Money I would definately got one of these units and they are Much cheaper than the Mackie firewire Mixers.....

Cheers

Back