Answer all my questions here

fuquam

Things I've wondered but have never bothered asking?

1. What exactly does a power conditioner do? I have one on my processor rack and run power through it. Does it clean the power? Make it safer?

2. Can you record in stereo without a stereo mic? Dumb question maybe but I don't know. I own a lot of mics but none are "stereo" mics. My drum overheads are two condensers in an X/Y pattern panned right and left which is like stereo but its really two mono signals panned. How do you record true stereo?

3. Is there really much difference in the two main time clock settings on an AD converter?

1) Depends on what you have. Typically they regulate the voltage levels you get from your house outlet. Giving you voltage of proper and constant level for your gear. They also can help clean up electrical noise and act as a surge protector

http://electronic-components.global...ower_Supplies_Conditioners/Power_Conditioners

2) You record in stereo the same way you listen in stereo. With two ears...or in the case of recording, with two microphones. All that you're trying to do when recording is capture a sound source with "fake ears." Since we use two ears to hear in stereo, we typically use two microphones pointing in certain directions to simulate ears. There's many different techniques and microphones to accomplish this.
Remember all that stereo is IS two mono channels. Stereo speakers...one left channel and one right channel. So you're doing it right.

3) I'm confused as to what you're asking. The two main time clock settings? Do you mean using an external or internal clocking source?

Thanks

for straightening that up. What I mean by time clocks is the 44.1 vs 48 on an A/D converter. Not sure if it makes much difference which one you choose. I mean the difference between recording 16 bit vs 24 bit makes a difference but does the clock setting really do much?

44.1khz is used for audio while 48khz is used in for the audio portion of video. Depending on where your project will be used would determine which sampling rate you want to select.

Cheers,

close, but not really.
You can use 44.1 or 48 for anything audio. But you'll want to match that sample rate with whatever you set it to in the software you are using.

What A/D device are you talking about?

A/d

Well I'm using Logic 8 but as for hardware I'm using an aggregate device which is a MOTU pre8 w/ and 828 slaved in. I've tried both sample rates and always sync up the devices and set it in the hardware. I was just wondering if it really matters. I'll stick with 44.1. Is 48 really for video?

Back