Another Xaviere thread

andyhix

:dank:
so, I think I'm gonna get me a xaviere tele-style geetar. I was thinking about the sunburst looking deal, but I see that's poplar, where as the "honey" one is ash. Which should I go with? I just slightly like the sunburst finish better, but it's not too critical. will $10 more for the ash make a noticable sound difference?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsicusobo.html

the density of ash and poplar is pretty much the same. I seriously doubt you can hear an audible difference between the two.

what kind of ash is used for guitars? White ash has a SG of .60, black ash .49, and yellow poplar .42. That's a pretty significant difference between the w. ash and the poplar.

That said, I don't know how big a difference density makes. Is that what it's all about with guitar wood? I really don't know....

what kind of ash is used for guitars? White ash has a SG of .60, black ash .49, and yellow poplar .42. That's a pretty significant difference between the w. ash and the poplar.

That said, I don't know how big a difference density makes. Is that what it's all about with guitar wood? I really don't know....

heavier more dense woods will give the guitar more sustain that is about the size of it. The rarity of the wood determines the price of the guitar but has little effect of the tone.
some rare hard woods are more difficult to work with this also has an something to do with the cost of high end instruments acoustics OTOH is a different animal all together.

Dude, ash is what makes a Tele spank. Poplar is a nice wood for most Nashville Tele-ism, but ash is brighter sounding and more percusive. Of course, your Xavier mileage may vary.

It has jack all to do with density. It has to do with mass to stiffness ratio in the main and the structure of the timber and it's material properties second. Ash and Poplar are completely different.

I'm not sure about poplar but I have an ash Tele and a Saga kit Tele which is basswood, and the ash will definitely give you the traditional Tele tones in abundance.
As matter of fact the basswood Tele is in storage at present while the ash Tele is in the recording room-within arms reach right now-and is a major go-to recording guitar. Yeah, I supposed I am a bit biased....:rolleyes:

BTW-the Xavieres are sweet-I bought the XV-600 this spring-Tele style with 'F' hole and 2 Dream 180 humbuckers. It is very comfortable and lightweight, the frets were very well finished and filed, it surprised me that a guitar so inexpensive delivered that much quality!

I've been waiting to order my solid ash trans honey w/ maple neck for a while now because he has been sold out! Can't wait until he gets the 2009s in. The xaviere teles have gotten great reviews. Make sure you report back on it if and when you get it.

I've been waiting to order my solid ash trans honey w/ maple neck for a while now because he has been sold out! Can't wait until he gets the 2009s in. The xaviere teles have gotten great reviews. Make sure you report back on it if and when you get it.

Sonofabitch! I swear to gawd I added one to my cart yesterday - just to check shipping price and all that. But now, it's shown as sold out. WTF? Oh well, I'm pretty well sold on that one as well - my wife told me she likes the look of the honey MUCH better than the sunburst poplar, so that pretty much put me over the top. Now I guess I just have to be patient.....that sucks.

emailed guitarfetish, and they replied that they will have a "butterscotch" version of the ash tele in Dec, fyi.

Two of the best, most classic Fender-sounding teles I've come across have been poplar-even unplugged.

Theyve been sold out on the ash for a good month now. I got one of the last ones, with a discount and a free case, since it had a mismatched top.
Here's a pic,

attachment.php

and my short review

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=272402&highlight=xaviere

I've just noticed that I've recieved neg rep from my old friend Roguetitan for this post.

It has jack all to do with density. It has to do with mass to stiffness ratio in the main and the structure of the timber and it's material properties second. Ash and Poplar are completely different.

Now it's not a problem I negged him back and told him what I thought. I just thought I'd share it with the group because this guy has a problem with me and I'd like to tell you all why I'm outing it.

Since our original head to head I have had a quite a few people PM me about comments he has made about my attitude both in private and elsewhere. I don't know or care why he attempts to solicit support for his view but just so you all know..

I don't care about Roguetitan's opinion of me.
I don't care if you share his opinion.
I don't care if you neg rep me.
I don't care if you think my knowledge or advice is valid.
I don't care if you think his knowledge or opinion is valid.
I don't care that he can dish it out but can't take it back.

What I'm really saying is I don't care. You lot can make him a mod for all I care.:D

Thanks to all those in the past that have given me the heads up about his agenda but you needn't worry I have it under control. I have now told him personaly what I think of him privately and have decided to tell you all in one go that it is done. I shall leave it at that.

Thanks for your time.;)

Back