Another work in progress

Hey I just listened your song and I see a lot of room for improvement. First, drums sund too muffled, there are missing clarity. Bass drum is totally lost. Electric guitar sounds fine, but acoustic is too dominant. What you need from a rythm acoustic guitar is the higher frequencies, is like a percussion instrument. You want to capture the strumming, like it was a shaker, not so much the "body" of the guitar. Voice is totally lost, it needs some EQ, bring it up a little and probably add a reverb.

Not trying to be an ass, just my opinion. Keep it up, hope you can work on the song and post your results

Thanks wally. Thats alot of useful information. I know there are issues with the levels/mix, I would never consider that to be a final mix of any kind, especially with that one shot vocal take and the lead guitar is close to what I want but not quite. I'm just getting comfortable with a new recording setup (new computer, interface, DAW etc...) so I'm happy to get some constructive criticism. I'll definitely work on the things you mention. Any other thoughts?

I would bring the vocals up a just a little bit so they are intelligible, but I think they sound good quiet. It adds a sense of mystery and darkness to the song (if that's what you're looking for). Maybe add some reverb so they aren't so dry?

The vocals sound pretty muffled and a little pitchy in places. Sounds like a mic stand is being knocked around too - ironically that is pretty clear... It's a cool song, just lacks presence. The bass needs to come up and the drums need to come up and bring the treble down on that snare.

Guitar sounds pretty good but I think you need a close mic in there too to balance it out.

Need to fill out the spectrum

I would bring the vocals up a just a little bit so they are intelligible, but I think they sound good quiet. It adds a sense of mystery and darkness to the song (if that's what you're looking for). Maybe add some reverb so they aren't so dry?

Thanks DoolittleKid. Most of my stuff does have somewhat of a dark vibe to it. the vocals do have a minimal amount of reverb, but they really just need to be re done, which I will do eventually. I'm in the process of working on an EP right now and I doubt that song will make the cut any way. Thanks for the feedback though

The vocals sound pretty muffled and a little pitchy in places. Sounds like a mic stand is being knocked around too - ironically that is pretty clear... It's a cool song, just lacks presence. The bass needs to come up and the drums need to come up and bring the treble down on that snare.

Guitar sounds pretty good but I think you need a close mic in there too to balance it out.

All good points and they're all noted. Most of the vocal problems are caused by my lack of confidence and the fact that I'm temporarily set up in my basement, not the ideal 'room' for vocals. But I'm sure I was bumping the mic stand. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment

All good points and they're all noted. Most of the vocal problems are caused by my lack of confidence and the fact that I'm temporarily set up in my basement, not the ideal 'room' for vocals. But I'm sure I was bumping the mic stand. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment

Back