another which chipset thread (help me just this once guys, please?!?!)

Basslord1124

I've been getting some conflicting opinions regarding chipsets. Now you all know my current situation...if not, check this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=78072

I've posted similar threads at other message boards and I'm getting a difference of opinion on SiS chipsets. Harmony Central has said they are slow chipsets and not good for audio while the word here is positive. So, once I get my replacement mobo should I just stick with it or hassle with getting my money back and replacing it with a mobo with a different chipset. I don't really wanna hassle with replacing my mobo again and all that if the performance differences aren't that great. I mean it's not like I'll have 100 tracks or anything.

I guess you already know my opinion on SiS (see the thread) but there you go:
SiS used to have a reputation of putting slow chipsets on the market (their main goal was to produce cheap chipsets) but ever since the release of the 735 chipset (like two years ago) that's a thing of the past. Today they're producing worthy alternatives for both Intel and AMD platforms.
A bad reputation is often hard to shake of or the people at Harmony Central just don't know what's on the market nowadays.

Thanks once again christiaan. ;) Then I won't bother with replacing the current motherboard, for a 2nd time. Which is good b/c I really didn't feel like it...nothing sucks worse than dealing with customer service/tech support again saying you changed your mind on the motherboard that you purchased back in January.

I've also heard good things about the newer SiS chipsets from guys like Emeric and it makes me SICK. I mean I really want to believe but....oh man...it's hard to get over the past :)

Slackmaster2K said:
I've also heard good things about the newer SiS chipsets from guys like Emeric and it makes me SICK. I mean I really want to believe but....oh man...it's hard to get over the past :)
Ditto. My old machine was based on an Sis 620 chipset. I got an Audiophile for it and it clicked and popped everywhere. Had to spend early for a major upgrade ahead of schedule just so we can record again.

In any case, maybe the new ones are better.

Back