Another Variax/Les Paul Comparison

Well it is very hard to tell which one is which (especially with only a pair of cheap headphones) but I have to admit that you could have used a 50$ guitar and it would have sounded the same because everything is so overprocessed, compressed, and the FX are just hidding the guitar's tone.

Plug directly in a Hiwatt and mic it like a man, and you will see, there is a difference between guitars.

That said, the more you processe your sound, less important is the quality of your guitar because its sound will be changed dramatically by the processing.

tenkas said:
Well it is very hard to tell which one is which (especially with only a pair of cheap headphones) but I have to admit that you could have used a 50$ guitar and it would have sounded the same because everything is so overprocessed, compressed, and the FX are just hidding the guitar's tone.

Plug directly in a Hiwatt and mic it like a man, and you will see, there is a difference between guitars.

That said, the more you processe your sound, less important is the quality of your guitar because its sound will be changed dramatically by the processing.

Now don't take this the wrong way, and I hardly know you, but I love you. Thank you for that statement. There's 5 threads on the Variax right now. In a caveman's opinion, vintage wood, killer pickups and a point to point wired tube amp will always sound good. I can see the use of the Variax, just don't say it's a vintage Les Paul. You'd know how it felt when you played it. I for one couldn't do a windmill on a Variax.

(sidenote, my set up is an 82 les paul special with a set of Fralin p90s through a 72 Sound City Concord, so yeah, total caveman).

cheers,
scott

Man, distortion on both first clips is just UGLY! I sold my Pod 2.0 because it sounded like crap, and the XTL sound awful in distortion setting too...
Anyway, i enjoy this kind of test and appreciatte your intention of giving something to this comunity... Thanks for that!

Distortion setting on A and B is not one I use regularily. That is one that came, I believe, from the Line 6 tone library listed as an Eddie Van Halen preset.

However I wanted to include clips from both ends of the sound range. One heavy overdrive and one clean. The previous comparison from Dr. Simon was kind of inbetween and this one covered the other ends for the LP case.

It seems in both sets of comparisons many guessed wrong.

Ed

Back