Another unfinished snippet

pglewis

I revisited a piece last week and started arranging it as an acoustic trio. This is just a short sketch from the end, which is the most developed part so far. I seem to be writing it "backwards". Eventually there'll be a lot more to it, if I get around to finishing it (it's already taking away from quality racing time). Cheap Sigma acoustic, C-1000S, 1604-VLZ, Gadget 8/24.

96kbps (~850k):

VBR (~1.6M):

Very pretty. Nice smooth legato. Great changes all round.

Like the recording of the guitars, real sounding. Background noise is pretty heavy in some parts, but I'm sure you know that.

Nothing more to say.. love it.

Thanks, Emeric. Yeah, the mic was about 3 ft. away from the computer fan on all 3 tracks. If I get around to recording it "for real", I'll set-up in the next room (and put Martin medium strings on... I'm not fond of the sound of these lights).

Pglewis,

That was great, wasn't expecting something so clasical sounding, nice surprise. It had kind of a harpsicord vibe. I think due to the liteness of the bass, don't know if that's what you were shooting for, but it worked for me.

You play BOY! Great recording, damn good sounding 96kbps.

pglewis...

Very nice piece. Sounds a bit like one a my favorite guitarists Steve Hackett from Genesis. I hope you take that as a compliment....;) Can't wait to hear the finished work.

zip

Kelly: If you live that long :D. I'm rather "unfocused".

GT: Actually, I wasn't shooting for anything in particular when I wrote the core part about 5 years ago. It just kinda came out in a few hours of noodling-- wish that would happen more often. It struck me as having a music box feel (or maybe calliope) but I like leaving the interpretation to the listener. Thanks for the kind words.

zip: I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about Steve Hackett's work, but I'm sure it wasn't an insult ;). Thanks for the listen.

no - it wasn't. Steve Hackett is killer. Don't be ashamed that you havn't heard old Genesis...just be ashamed if you like the new stuff...;)

zip

What a strange and beautiful piece. Reminded me a bit of Zappa's whimsy on Burnt Weenie Sandwich. If you wanted a better sound, you could put the computer in the other room, and buy a really good mic compared to the AKG, buy a really good guitar with heavier gauge strings, and do it again. Alternately you could spend three hours in a pro studio with the guitar you've got and it would sound ace. I'm using the same mic on my nylon-string these days, by the way, and I really want something better. The AKG's okay. But I reckon that piece of yours deserves something better.

Back