Another Topaz thread

Treskalle

Hey! Been searching around the net for some information bout this mixer. Think I've been reading almost everything about it in this studio, and that's alot! :D There are still some questions I'm looking for, perhaps no one can answer without more information, but I'll give it a shot!;) I've found a Topaz Project 8 - 32 channel mixer for cheap. As some may have noticed, I'm in need of upgrading my studio soon, with more in/outputs.

First; Anyone have the sizes about the 32 channel Project 8 board?

Second; Been reading some later versions of the Topaz are not made in UK, as the originals. So wonder if the Project 8 are made in UK or Asia? Are there different version of this?

Third (this I didn't understand, so I put out a straight question); As I understood, it is a tape in and a tape out on each channel(?). Is it possible to only use the tape out for example, as direct outs?

*edited*
Fourth (came up with a last question); Is the user guide for the regular Topaz very likely the Project 8? Because of the almost only look upgrade?

Btw. Have sent mail to the one who had it for sale. Haven't got any answer yet though.

*edited done*

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Well,
I have the 24 channel version of the project 8 so I cant comment on the size of the 32.
but in regard to the "tape out" I can confirm that each channel strip has a post fader direct out called "tape out".
Whatever you have going into the selected channel goes out the direct tape out, but is controlled in volume by the fader.

Would you mind making another guide after this update plz? you dont have to it would just be very helpful

Guide for this mixer? Got a really nice price on it now, 650 USD. Gonna get it in about 2 weeks, when I have tried it for some days I would write I guide:) Can't wait! :D

T,
I hope you like yours.
I really enjoy mine.
I had a little bit of a learning curve about routing signals through all the choices but eventually got the routing pretty good.

One thing I will warn you about that will probably stump you right from the start is the Aux sends.

You may already know this, but your mixer actually has 64 channels to it.
Each Mic / Line channel has a tape return channel paired up with it that has its own volume knob eq and pan, as well as sharing some of the aux sends.
Here is where it gets sort of dumb.... aux send one is only usable by the Mic/Line channel
and aux send 2 is only usable by the tape return channel.....
Let that sink in...you will surely try to route something to aux 2 and wonder why your mic wont go there....
aux 3/5 and 4/6 are assignable to either the Mic/Line or Tape input.

Basically with out some creative patching you will never have more than 3 simultaneous aux sends per input.

Anyway, the board sounds decent and is solid.
Good luck with your good deal!

Got the mixer! Very nice first-impression. A bit dirty and dusty, but will clean it tomorrow. It was bigger then I thought and alot heavier, but that doesn't hurt!;) Gonna build a stand/table for it. When I'm getting the drawings finished I could publish it and they who want, could follow the building of the stand. Haven't got much hours to test it yet, because of space in the studio(that's why I have to build a stand that fits 100%). So just for home basis with mics, speakers and headphones. A thing that really impressed me was the noise. I can compare it to my Allen And Heath Zed series. It's really a big, strong and beautiful monster(or God(dess) if you want)!

Will write a review on it when I got it into the studio, and can start recording and use the EQ in full scale! About the EQ, It's awesome! I think I really made a nice deal! The EQ is powerful and nice! It have so many opportunities, could be used for alot! :D:D:D:D

Back