another thread about micing acoustic guitar!

guitar junkie

Guitar User.
So here we go again eh :D

I will start by saying what I wanna do first.

My wife and I play acoustic folk music and track live in our studio, our signal chain is as follows: FirePod-iMac-Logic or REAPER or whatever we happen to buy in the next 6 months. Currently I sing into an Oktava 219 and the wife sings into an MXL v67G.

I have two MXL 991s and two of the Karma Audio micro's which I still think sound decent but they just happen to be rather noisy, as are the MXL's

I am wanting to get a better guitar sound as well as better cello and Uke sound, mostly I just want something that will be low noise and fairly clean sounding... The Karma mics are nice in the mids but the lows are kind of flabby on guitar and the treble can be kind of brittle, the MXL mics have that classic harsh nasty mid and high freq boost that just makes them tough to use aside from their noise...

We don't have a very big budget right now, looking at around $150 or so for what we can spend, and we'll have to save up even to do this much.

What are some options that would be fairly clean and low noise? Should I just move to LDC mics?

It's not my room because that has been treated and tuned a long time ago this is just a matter of mics that kind of sound like crap:rolleyes:

I would dump the MXL 991s...I have a pair of 603s and they are OK...you would think that a revision would lead to an improvement.

The budget mic that works good with most strings is the AT3035...it goes for about $50 used.

can you solder? You can spend at most a few bucks on capacitors and probably get rid of most of the noise on the 991s, while improving the bass response some. Actually, if you PM me a mailing address, I'll mail you some pre-matched capacitors that I have in my toolbox that are there to send to people with 603s and 991s - for free.

antichef check your PM's

I thought For a while there was someone out there selling Omni capsules you could put in 991s and other such mics anybody know much about this?

If I had the time and knew more about reading schematics I would just try building something, but it seems like my best bet here is to either find something at a bargain or mod something out.

I got those omni capsules - probably the same seller, but its been a while. Honestly, I never tried them, and sent them along with the cardioids to get remachined by Marik, so now mine are remachined (and, um, I still haven't tried them).

I got an Apex set of mics at a pawn shop recently, and there were 2 Apex 180 mics in it, which are the same as 603s, as far as I can tell. They came with hypercardioid capsules, but also a spare set of omnis, which look just like those - so now I haven't tried those either (or the hypercardioids). I did the capacitor swap on the 180s yesterday - hope your capacitors arrived safe.

But seriously, I use the modded 603s and remachined cardioid capsules all the time.

Back