Another Synchronization Option?

fstrat76

I know some of this is posted in other threads, but I have yet another option to discuss.

The favorite cheapest option for sync'ing a deck and DAW seems to be striping a track with SMPTE (through a device like the JL Cooper) and making the deck the master and the DAW slave. There are more expensive options to sync the deck to the DAW or other external means if available.

Since tape slippage and other factors all play a part in sync issues with a DAW, without striping SMPTE, a typical song of 3-4 minutes might be off a second or so once the audio is imported from the deck to the DAW.

I use Logic Pro 9.0, and they now have an audio sync feature that could actually sync the audio much in the same way Pro Tools does with elastic audio (or whatever its called in PT).

Has anyone had experience with NOT using the SMTPE striping method and using audio sync'ing features of a DAW like Logic or Pro Tools instead?

No experience with it, but I'm jaded since the audio sync method involves manipulation and modification of the digital audio and even if I couldn't hear it I think it would bother me...something wouldn't be quite right...but I'm also bugged by things like Drumagogg too.

Back