Another Stupid Question

Raoul

Hello everyone! Im a beginner in recording field, and I know this is kinda stupid question. Can someone explain to me SMPTE and Syc. My 414 has a syc out in it, and I dont know how it works. The 414 Manual says you need some "timing" equipment (like the Tascam MTS 30) before connecting Drum machines or any stuff like that. Can't I connect those beat box directly to 414? Please help me! Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

"Sync FAQ"

Syncing is what you do when you record a computer signal that either tells you the time, or the beat, and then use that signal to keep equipment in synchronizity to each other. Your 414 has a sync connection, to where you connect the equipment that generates and interprets that type of signal.

There are basically two types of sync: Beat sync, and time sync. Beat sync is basically a metronome recording, i.e each beat (or rather, each 96th note) a signal is recorded and then the equipment uses this signal to keep the beat.
Beat sync is easy to do, but usually has the disadvantage that you always have to play the song from the beginning.
I don't know of any open standards for this except "Roland sync", used by old Roland equipment. Otherwise each piece of equipment uses it's own standard.

Time sync doesn't record the beat, but instead records the time. The dominating standard for this is SMPTE, which is made for movies, and therefore continously records the time (hour:minute:second) and the frame number within that second. The good thing about this is that you can easily sync things that isn't based on beats, like two tape recorders, and you don't have to start from the beginning, since you always know exactly where you are. The drawback is that your sequencer has to understand SMPTE or MTC, which is basically SMPTE converted to MIDI. Cheap equipment usually don't do this.

There is also "Smart sync" which is some kind of mix of the two. I haven't used it and know little about it.

Just to add what Reg said....

SmartSync or SmartFSK is basically beat sync with the ability to recognize Song Position Pointer (SPP). Meaning you don't always have to start at the beginning of the song, you can start anywhere and the sync will be correct. On more basic gear, SmartFSK (or even just FSK) is the most effective solution - SMPTE just doesn't work well on 4-track portastudio gear (too finicky for the cassette format). FSK involved striping a track of tape with the sync tones (using a basic device like Anatek's PocketSync or an equivalent) at the tempo yourequire for a given song (unlike SMTPE, beat sync and other non-SMTPE sync mechanisms are not tempo-independent - once the speed has been established, it's fixed...). keep in mind that any sync usually requires sacrificing a track for the sync tones.

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Tascam US-428

I've been a musician for a long time but have never ventured into the recording world. Boy do I feel stupid. Acronyms left and right I don't know. User's manuals with vague instructions. Does anybody have the new Tascam US-428 using Cubasis? Any tips for working with Cubase type applications? Man, I don't even know where to start. All I want to do is use a Line 6 POD to record guitar and bass directly, a credible natural sounding drum machine, and maybe some simple yet unique synthesizer sounds as intros. No mikes, nothing fancy, but it seems impossible at this point.

HELP!

Thanks Regebro and bvaleria for your replies. I really have much to learn in recording. Maybe, that will be my next project-(the pocket sync) Thanks again and happy recordin' to both of you.

Back