Another song by some old fart (newbie) with banjos and dobros and stuff in it....AND

Sounds good, the midi drums weren't crappy at all! They did have a little robotism to them, but the beat could sound that way with a human since it's pretty straight. Love the bass tone and your banjos and dobros sound good too. I listened on headphones and somehow felt like much of it was everywhere, the banjo was to the right, but my phones could have screwed it up. Based on that my only thought was to try panning some cymbals, dobros to give them a place. Good job, any vocal planned?

Thanks. Actually I think I misspoke. Maybe they are not midi drums. Sequenced drum samples? I used beatcraft.
I thought I had doubled the banjo and put one left and one right but I might have messed it up. This was jut an attempt to use the drum program so no vocals. I'm planning on doing some more recording later with my wife singing but right now I'n still kinda learning how to use my DAW.

Also re: panning I'm still kind of learning about panning instruments in the mix so any advice is appreciated.

For me, panning has two primary purposes, one for effect, the other is for instrument placement. Before raising the volume on a track, check with a pan sweep to see if there could be clashes with something else in the same space. This will help with your mix volume and to determine if there are any clashes with other instruments.

Verb is another hard one to master.

Thanks DM60.

rpm61 here's one I did a month ago with my wife singing vocals. My first attempt at recording and mixing vocals.
Today I added some drums to it. (Thank goodness we recorded to click track)
https://soundcloud.com/cb56/when-we-all-get-to-heaven

btw I recorded the song in too low of a key for my wife but she sang it anyway. And yes the harmonies are computer generated (Melodyne) remember I'm a beginner. ;-)

I love old tunes like this. I think both songs sound pretty cool. Banjo is awesome. I think the drums sound alright for being not real. Your wife's voice reminds me a bit of Mary Ford's. Maybe it's the voice with the Melodyne. I really like the way it sounds, I reckon you could increase the volume on those vocals a bit. Nice job on both tunes though, look forward to hearing more. :)

Thanks, it's all a learning process :-)
Wow Mary Ford that's high praise. I'll pass it along to her. Now if only I could play like Les Paul!
Actually I think the drums are samples not midi so I mispoke earlier.

Well, you've got to start somewhere with sequenced drums. I can't say that they sound any worse than what's on many of my recordings. The toms and hand claps are the only real offenders, it's like an old TS808 in the middle of a gospel song. But I have to say that's pretty good programming despite the samples themselves.

As far as the mix goes, you could bring the banjo down a bit. Bring the vocals up a bit as well, and maybe EQ the banjo a little so the vocals have enough room in those midrange frequencies to shine through. And your wife has a lovely voice, it might be worth having her record the harmony parts since it sounds like she could do it with ease. I've recently discovered the magic (cheating) of Melodyne, so I totally understand the drive to use it instead of recording new harmony parts.

Yes, I like that one too. You get a nice foundation from your nice solid bass and the drum tracks, which are competently done and the samples aren't bad. I thought your wife was having a little trouble with the key, she sounds great but fades out on the lower parts. I don't use Melodyne, but can't you bump the banjo and bass up a key or two with that without warping the sound? It sounds like if it was in her range she would kill it. I like the levels and still love the banjo but need some space. Pan one left and one right and see what you hear. You can EQ them differently and try some reverb, but it has much to do with the tracks you're working with so you have to experiment, and listen to it in the mix, not just the banjo.

I have to upfront and say that clicking on a sequence of links that were dead made me a little disinclined to continue.
You should attempt to edit previous posts & either remove the link or leave the link up with a comment that an update is below.
OR post new versions in an edit of the original post.
The fact that the final link doesn't go to what may be the track being discussed is even more annoying.
I waited through the trombone hymnal drone to get to the track in discussion.
Re the topic track:
The playing is generally good though there are some very odd pauses in the banjo picking.
That was OJC & I think it's not the topic track.
Thanks for the little goose chase.
I may have misread the signposts but it might be good to make them clearer.
NOW the 1st link is working.
It was nicely captured but the midi/sequenced drums were terrible and the playing varied.
Seriously - a thread is for a single track or variations on that track. You've maxed ot my attention span and neitehr of us was well served by the process.

Back