Another similar midi question to one I had earlier.

clntgn

Ok, so awhile back I had a question about midi stuff and getting it hooked up to my computer, but it didn't exactly get all my questions answered.

First off, I know that midi is not audio. I know it isn't sounds and is just data.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that what I want to do is plausible, but I just don't know how to do that.

Also, here is a list of the gear I'm trying to get to play nicely:
Roland M-GS64 sound module
Casio CZ-230s or microkorg for a midi controller
Apple Powermac G4 running Digital Performer 5
A boss gs10 usb interface (has one midi in and one midi out on the back)

Now, what I'm trying to do is have one of those two keyboards be my midi controller, and then have my Roland box for my patches.

I've gotten as far as having the microkorg hooked up by itself, but I don't know how to get the patches to play back on my DAW. It reads the midi data just fine when I record. It shows the lines on the screen, and everything appears to be just fine. But I can't hear the actual patches like I would if I had it hooked up to an amp or whatever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely stumped on whether I need to buy anything, or if I need to connect cables differently or what.

Ok, so awhile back I had a question about midi stuff and getting it hooked up to my computer, but it didn't exactly get all my questions answered.

First off, I know that midi is not audio. I know it isn't sounds and is just data.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that what I want to do is plausible, but I just don't know how to do that.

Also, here is a list of the gear I'm trying to get to play nicely:
Roland M-GS64 sound module
Casio CZ-230s or microkorg for a midi controller
Apple Powermac G4 running Digital Performer 5
A boss gs10 usb interface (has one midi in and one midi out on the back)

Now, what I'm trying to do is have one of those two keyboards be my midi controller, and then have my Roland box for my patches.

I've gotten as far as having the microkorg hooked up by itself, but I don't know how to get the patches to play back on my DAW. It reads the midi data just fine when I record. It shows the lines on the screen, and everything appears to be just fine. But I can't hear the actual patches like I would if I had it hooked up to an amp or whatever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely stumped on whether I need to buy anything, or if I need to connect cables differently or what.

Try:

1 Keyboard midi out to interface midi in.
2 Interface midi out to sound module midi in
3 Sound module audio out to interface audio in

Make sure that in your midi recording application you set the interface as an output device for your recorded midi tracks.

You should be able to monitor from your interface if you are not dsoing this already.

So I tried what you said, and still nothing.

To clarify, to make sure I did it right.
I have the keyboard's midi out plugged into the midi in of the interface, and then the module's midi in plugged into the midi out of the the interface, then I have the module's audio out (module has four audio outs, interface only has one quarter inch instrument input on it) plugged into the midi in.

On DP, you can't set inputs for midi tracks. only outputs. It looks a little like this:

Input: blank
Output: M-GS64-1 (The mac had a patchlist for this already, so i lucked out there)
Patch: Piano 1
Default Patch:Piano 1

The level meter on the midi track appears to be reading something. I don't know if that means anything.

I have the keyboard's midi out plugged into the midi in of the interface,
ok
and then the module's midi in plugged into the midi out of the the interface,
ok
then I have the module's audio out (module has four audio outs, interface only has one quarter inch instrument input on it) plugged into the midi in.
not ok, unless you meant audio in and it was just a slip of the finger.

On DP, you can't set inputs for midi tracks. only outputs. It looks a little like this:

Input: blank
Output: M-GS64-1 (The mac had a patchlist for this already, so i lucked out there)
Patch: Piano 1
Default Patch:Piano 1

The level meter on the midi track appears to be reading something. I don't know if that means anything.

I'm not familiar with Digital Performer, but it looks like it's reading and playing the midi ok.

What does "M-GS64-1" designate? Does it designate the interface or something inside the mac? You need something that will designate the interface, because the midi has to get there before it can get to the module.

Does the module have a headphone socket? Can you hear anything? Does it visibly register that it is receiving midi ok?

Oh! Yes, I meant plugged into the audio in. I don't know I'd plug the audio cable into a midi spot. Sorry.

Well, in the audio midi set up of my mac, I have my gs-10, and then I have an icon I set up for my m-gs64. Those are connected with the black lines that represent the midi cables. DP reads the midi devices that are connected to the gs-10 when I select my outputs. The M-gs64-1 I think just means its 1 of 16. There's 16 to pick from m-gs64-2 and m-gs64-3 and so on. I think they're just the midi channels, but I have no idea really.

It doesn't however let me pick the gs-10 as the midi device.

Yes, the module has a headphone jack on the front.

It doesn't appear that its registering midi correctly. I'm pretty sure that some of the lights are supposed light up when I hit keys and stuff, but they aren't doing anything.

NEW: I think I have a little more information to help in solving my problem.

So, I'm able to hook up my controller's midi out and plug it into midi in A on the back of the module. I put my headphones on, and I can hear everything being produced just fine.

When i have set up the way you told me to though, I think its just reading the keyboard's midi data, and the module isn't doing anything. The reason why is, I unplugged the module from the setup, and I got the same basic result of it just reading the keyboard's midi data, but still nothing in the way of playback.

I don't know if its settings I have wrong in the module, or the DAW or what, but it's bugging me and I feel like I'm missing something entirely. I'm trying to set up similar to the way they have it at school, but it doesn't appear to be working.

Last edited:
Back