Another Question About Flush Mounting My Monitors

ram3n

I'm in the process of renovating a rehersal space into a studio. I just finished framing all the interior walls, so I still have some work to do before I get to the stage of treating my rooms.

So my monitoring system consists of Yamaha NS-10M Studios and a Tannoy sub. I've read several threads on flush mounting speakers, and I'm thinking of doing to same. My control room dimensions are 9' wide, 12' long with an 8' ceiling.

So is a good idea to flush mount nearfields, or should I buy some type of midfields, mount them, and just put the nearfields on stands behind my console. I do have two control outs on my board.

Putting speakers in the wall changes their radiation characteristics. Usually the crossover needs to be re-done when doing this otherwise the sound is not what the designer had intended. Could be better or worse. You may prefer it or hate it but the same thing playing on identical wall mounted and stand mounted speakers should sound different.

for more info
http://www.site-specific-systems.com/built_in_speakers.htm

Hope this helps.
Phil Abbate
Site Specific Systems

Just as a side note, I wasn't planning on mounting the subwoofer (is it necessary)... I was only planning on mounting the near/mid fields.

The baffle step, or the loss in midbass due to the sound wrapping around the baffle thus decreasing the forward firing gain in a free standing speaker is what is messed with durring in-wall mounting. This usually occurs around 200 hz. The sub would be least effected as most of them do not cut in until below 80 Hz.

Mounting free standing speakers in-wall will boost the frequencies that the designer has boosted in the crossover to compensate for the baffle step ( difraction loss) over and beyond what was already done.

Have you looked at quality in wall speakers designed for that purpose?

Phil

Back