another one

baker_

yeah, newbie works fine.
Hey all:

I posted a song I attempted to mix a little bit ago. I received some good advice. (Here's the link to the old song - It's the one called All Angel No Wings, not the rap song)

We've already established that the guy is an awful singer. So we're stuck with that. I was just wondering what you thought of this new tune. It's a lot different.

I know a lot of you around these parts are rock fiends (I am also), but this is the type of music I have to work with right now.

Any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated.

New Tune

sorry, just a bump

I'd really like some input though I know this kind of music isn't your style

It's a cool tune. the piano reminds me of some amos. it's a good clean mix. cool parts. vocals are pretty crisp although they kind of get lost in the background ambience every once in a while. when it is breathy, mostly lower and mid notes. I'm not a big fan of pitch fx on vocals, but it works.

all in all. its a smooth mix. i might take my lady in the back room for this one! :D

Thank you for the comment!

I agree, I still have a lot of work on the vocals; they are a nightmare - i should re-record them, but they want the song now.

I'm not a big fan of the pitch effect either but it's the band's schtick. They like their voices like that.

Just wondering....Does anyone have editing tips for cutting out the harshness of a voice. The male vocal has some harsh words and moments that cut through; for example: his "j" in the word "just," and a lot of sibilance on "s's". There are also some problems with "I'm." It's basically really harsh. Perhaps it was the mic choice. I used a condenser for his vocals (though I can't recall what mic exactly). Would a dynamic mic help?

Thanks again for the comment

Have you tried a de esser?
The vocal is way too far forward for the backing.
Some of the vocal noise will be hard to deal with - re recording would be better with a pencil across the face of the mic to split the harshness.
Whilst the whispering is an attempt at expression the vocal seems passionless & a little whiney - like a Wheatus song intro.
The piano spund is well recorded.
The vox effect - erky perky - but there's no accounting for their taste.
I can hear that YOU've done some serious toil with this.

Have you tried a de esser?

I did slap one on one of his vocal tracks, but I've only fussed around with it very little.

Some of the vocal noise will be hard to deal with - re recording would be better with a pencil across the face of the mic to split the harshness.

I googled this trick and found it quite interesting. I'll have to try it out on my own sometime. Does it help with sibilance as well? He has an issue with his "s's", "ch's", "sh's", and "c's."

I can hear that YOU've done some serious toil with this.

Have I messed with it too much? :(

It posted twice, oops.

Thanks for the suggestions though! I really appreciate the input.

Last edited:
You haven't messed too much - I'm on mix # 134 I think of the current thing I have in the mixing clinic if I include the previous attampts over the last 2 years.
The pencil trick works with lots of stuff. If you working in the box I'd recommend Spitfish from the Fishfillets suit - free VSTs!
I don't know if I made it clear but this has potential so work on it.

Back