Another one for you guys to have a listen, don't be shy ;)

Thanks for reply!

Yeh at moment I would say that when I play my grand piano in the middle octaves in real life it sounds nice and strong and quite dark but clear. When it gets recorded it feels a bit muddy even when I EQ it. Any ideas buddy? To keep the bass notes sounding powerful but also keeping it clear?

Thanks for reply!

Yeh at moment I would say that when I play my grand piano in the middle octaves in real life it sounds nice and strong and quite dark but clear. When it gets recorded it feels a bit muddy even when I EQ it. Any ideas buddy? To keep the bass notes sounding powerful but also keeping it clear?

Just general ideas...

If you do a boost to the low end, make it small (like a db or so) and wide (like a couple of octaves). Maybe start in the 200hz - 220hz range?

If you decide to cut, go for the midrange - like the 2,500hz range. You might want to try to notch something out in that range - like a -6db but very narrow. Or, if you don't like that, go for a wider but shallower cut - like a -1db cut, but like an octave wide.

These are just general ideas - not a recipe or anything.

The strings sounded pretty good but not totally convincing. If you mixed them lower, it might help. But in a spare arrangement like this it might not be an option. I liked the bass drum, or whatever that was. I didn't find the piano especially muddy, maybe just a bit. More dark, as you said. I can't offer any advice on recording acoustic piano as all mine are electric. But I wonder about your mic position. How many mics are you using? I think I'd try adjusting position and trying to get a clearer tone at the source if that's what you're looking for, before I did much EQ.

Back