Another old one

pglewis

I was going through old cassettes last night and came across this mix I'd forgotten about. I'm just tossing this out here for fun, no mix advice or anything needed (this is straight from cassette and bad recording techniques all around).

A different arrangement of the old Santo and Johnny classic, Sleepwalk: http://www.nowhereradio.com/jackson/singles

kick ass, pg. great twist. your buddy can definitely get the swing vibe going on the drums and bass. one more pg tune going into the rotation.

I recorded to cassette for a long time, and this aint bad at all. Performance wise, this was a great listen. That drummer was smokin!

Twist

Nice hearing it with some pizzaz and spunk in it. I really good old gittar tune. :)

I keep Carlton`s slow version for ridin in the truck from work sometimes, just so I wont turn around and go blow the damn place up. :)

Track: Thanks for the listen. Being mentioned in the same breath as Django... you're too kind.

JR: Yeah, Joe has a great sense of feel. I'd really like to get him over here to redo a bunch of stuff some day. There's a lot of things like this lying around that would be fun to rework.

Emeric: I suppose the recording isn't that bad, but you know how it is... I know I could do it much better now. I hope to do another version with bagpipes.

twist: Oops... I may have caused some confusion. The recording was done on a Fostex DMT-8 digital 8-track, not to cassette. But the mix came straight from cassette, since I don't have any of the DAT masters here to rework. So ya get all the wow and flutter that cassette brings to the mix. That drummer also played bass and rhythm guitar on this tune. He's a killer utility man to have around. I think the rhythm acoustic adds as much to the feel as the drums.

toki: It's funny, when I first heard this tune I thought "I'd love to do an uptempo swing-ish version". I think I've done this tune about 8 different ways, but I like the character of this particular one, warts and all.

hey pg, come move in with me and we can have sex, opps, play guitars. great little recording. we gotta do sumpin together man. I'm pm'ing you.

Excellent performance.You guys kick some serious ass at what you do.Cool version of a classic.

Dan: You got it bro, sex is on the way.

Kramer: Thanks, man! Though if I remember correctly, you didn't like "I am a Jedi" all that much :D. I think you compared it to someone called "pootpie".

Just for more giggles, I found another decent version last night and salvaged it from cassette. Same basic arrangement, but a minimal mix with Joe finger-picking on the cat-gut and playing tamborine. Same link, for the curious.

Wow...that was excellent and it sounded damn good. Sounds better than the recordings I get now...:(.

Nice work :D

pglewis said:

Kramer: Thanks, man! Though if I remember correctly, you didn't like "I am a Jedi" all that much :D. I think you compared it to someone called "pootpie".

Well,I hate to lie and say I like something when I dont.LOL.I guess it was just too over the top for me.I dig all kinds of music but experimental stuff loses me most of the time.I think jedi was a pretty unconventional piece of music with a lot of screaming if I remember correctly.LOL."pootpie" was a guy who trolled the board one night and posted some screaming and out of tune distorted guitars with a drum machine and then he proceeded to flame all the other threads on the board.LOL."Jedi" resembled his screaming in a song he titled "she cant be trusted'.LMAO!It was funny stuff....I dig all the straight up playing you guys do..."Dreamin' On A Train " kicks butt.Im a fan of fingerpickin from way back.

Checked out the tamborine version.Kicks butt man.

Jagular: Thanks for the kind words. My quality disclaimer is because there's some really good ears around here that would otherwise point me to potential improvements. Invaluable advice under most circumstances. Just lets them know my limitations up front.

Kramer: Oh, I'm glad you gave your honest opinion. 'Jedi' wasn't so much an experimental song as a joke/knock-off. Spent maybe an hour on that one, and half of that was the drinking. Joe had this pen that had some samples, started playing a beat... and, well, we just had to record it. Funny to us in that you-had-to-be-there kinda way. But in truth, we got more positive feedback on that one (from non-musicians) than other stuff we slaved over. One of the reasons I posted it, just to see what sort of feedback it would get here. I'm really sorry I missed out on the pootpie experience. FWIW, "dreamin" is all flat-pickin'. Open tuning, so I'm doing a buncha pull-offs that make it sound like there's more going on than there really is. Thanks for taking the time and checking it out.

Last edited:
Holy fuck pg,I didn't know you could spank the plank THAT well.My jaw is resting on the floor!New stuff soon,I hope?!

Nothing new in this vein coming soon, beezy. Joe and I haven't worked together on stuff in years, though we're still in touch.

Hey! Really, really nice. It cooks, it do! Sweet. Tasty chord choice. Smooth playing. I love it when the band goes for it in the middle, wonderful.

Hey, do you remember how many times you had to record that minute and a half of smooth incandescence before you got it right? LOL

Thanks, dobie! Actually, I don't think we ever got it "right" :D. All these old recordings were demos, to our minds. Just scratch versions to see how the arrangements were working. We'd planned on doing "definitive" versions later but that never happened. Joe is a one-take wonder and I've played that melody so many times that I think we actually got that version down pretty quickly.

Back