Another Ohms Question

Monsoon

Ok, I have an amp head that has two separate ohms selector switches. One is for the cabinet - you can select between 8 ohms and 16 ohms. One is for the transformer - you can select between 4 ohms and 8 ohms.

I know what the cabinet selector switch is for - you match that with the cabinet you are using, and in this case, I have to use 8 ohm or 16 ohm cabinets. Simple enough.

But what is the transformer ohm selector switch for? Why would I want to switch between 4 or 8 ohms on the transformer, and if I do that, do I need to worry about the cabinet ohms?

:confused:

Although I've never seen that before... your amp probably has the ability to remove 1/2 of the power tubes which then in fact will change the primary resistance that the OT sees. It sounds like it's giving you the choice to "balance" the 2.

If you need a more technical answer you may want to pose the question over at 18watt.com. Some of the people over there have an incredible knowledge of these things and can give you the "exact" answer you're looking for.

Back