Another Newbie

Daveh666

Hi All, I had a look round the net and this place seemed to be "The One" to answer most of what I've needed to know so far. having had a good read I decided to join you all. I am a complete novice at recording, I did mess with an old Yamaha 4 track a few years ago, but was too busy to take it seriously. I built a large shed for my band to rehearse in a couple of years ago but no onger have the time to comit to a band so I am currently setting it up as a home Studio. I have recently purchased a boss BR800 and am just begining to get to grips with it, I've been using my old faithful Shure SM58 and also just the built in Condensors so, Next on the shopping list (i think) will be a large Condensor mic...anyway just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
Cheers all
Dave

Welcome, Dave. Does the BR800 have phantom power? I use a BR600, which doesn't, so run my mics through the preamps of my Mackie mixer (which has phantom power), record to the Boss, then export the tracks to Reaper for mixing and processing. Some folks may wonder why use the Boss at all, but my computer is older, and has some issues, so this eliminates any latency/processor hangups.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the welcome. Yes, the BR800 does have phantom power, though only on one input. I did have a lot of people saying to me that I was wasting my time buying the Boss as i'd already got Cubase and should just use that on my PC, the truth is, I spend much of my working day in front of a monitor and the thought of my hobby taking a similar form didn't appeal to me much at all. I also wanted the portability of recording wherever and when ever I wanted to. I suppose now though I have both options available and will no doubt find my own prefs as I get further down the road. My main problem at the moment is choosing a decent "initial" mic for my work. I'm intending to record more Acoustic stuff (12 and 6 string) and vocals, but I'm stuck in the "which Mic" minefield at the moment.
I had a listen to a couple of your tracks on Youtube whilst writing back, Great work Mike.

Hi All, I had a look round the net and this place seemed to be "The One" to answer most of what I've needed to know so far. having had a good read I decided to join you all. I am a complete novice at recording, I did mess with an old Yamaha 4 track a few years ago, but was too busy to take it seriously. I built a large shed for my band to rehearse in a couple of years ago but no onger have the time to comit to a band so I am currently setting it up as a home Studio. I have recently purchased a boss BR800 and am just begining to get to grips with it, I've been using my old faithful Shure SM58 and also just the built in Condensors so, Next on the shopping list (i think) will be a large Condensor mic...anyway just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
Cheers all
Dave

Welcome aboard Dave!

You should find a lot of great help here, when I started here I had a single cassette deck and a harmonica, now I have a complete multi-track recording studio. Also there are some shed enthusiast.

The mic forum is one of the best resources here, check it out, lots of great info.

looks like i'll have to keep on my guard, being a Dave and all eh!! ;-) LOL
Thanks for the welcome arcadeko, i've been reading the mic section, some excellent info there ,thank you.

Welcome, Acoustic Dave who is not famous and whose opening thread will hopefully not extend to a thousand years.
May all your dreams be in technicolour and 5D.

HMy main problem at the moment is choosing a decent "initial" mic for my work. I'm intending to record more Acoustic stuff (12 and 6 string) and vocals, but I'm stuck in the "which Mic" minefield at the moment.
I had a listen to a couple of your tracks on Youtube whilst writing back, Great work Mike.

All my acoustic guitar stuff you may have heard on youtube (or myspace) was recorded with an SM57. I also (now) record a track at the same time using a Dimarzio pickup for my 6-string and the built-in pickup on the 12-string, then mix the two tracks together to get the best overall sound. Seems to work (to my ears) to get a pretty accurate acoustic sound.

All my acoustic guitar stuff you may have heard on youtube (or myspace) was recorded with an SM57. I also (now) record a track at the same time using a Dimarzio pickup for my 6-string and the built-in pickup on the 12-string, then mix the two tracks together to get the best overall sound. Seems to work (to my ears) to get a pretty accurate acoustic sound.

I use techniques like this and others too... the 'it always sounds better with a microphone' thing depends upon guitar and microphone and what type of music is being recorded. I've done some weird stuff to try to get a more full-bodied sound over the years...

And I thought I was Acoustic Dave... oh well, never mind... :guitar:

Back