Another Newbie Needs Help?!?!?!

BigBlueToe

I'm a musician who's been recording projects since the days of reel-to-reel and SimulSync. However, I'm thinking about jumping into recording on my computer and I feel like I'm back to being a complete know-nothing.

I have a Tascam 788 digital recorder which has a dedicated SCSI CDR drive. I recently hooked the CDR to the recorder while the CDR was turned on and I think I fried something. The 788 still works, but I get a System Failed message when I try to get it to recognize the CDR.

I need a new, working setup, and I'm thinking it's time to jump into recording with my computer. I want to start with something cheap and easy. I want to be able to transfer my tracks from the 788 to the computer so that I can record CDs. However, it would be nice to learn how to record on the computer so I can get more than 8 tracks.

I almost never use more than 2 mic inputs at a time, so I'm thinking about an interface with 2 XLR inputs with phantom power and maybe 2 more inputs for 1/4" plugs. I'm thinking Firewire is capable of transfering data faster than USB2, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

I do a lot with MIDI. I have Cakewalk ProAudio 9, a Midiman 4x4 USB interface, and several sound modules. Would I still be able to use these, or should I look for software that includes a sequencer and use that? Would I need something with 4 Midi ins and outs to be comparable with what I have now?

I have an old Gateway PC running Windows ME that I use strictly for the Cakewalk and all my midi gear. It has a Pentium 4, but it's really old. I also have XP installed on it, but when I was using XP it caused lots of issues.

I have a HP desktop with both 3gb of RAM, running Vista. It has 2 USB2 ports on the front and one Firewire.

Which computer should I use? Would there any advantage to keeping the Gateway with ME as a "music-only" computer, or should I use the HP? The HP is my everyday computer, so it has a lot of stuff installed on it. Would there be conflicts with other software I have installed? I don't think I can afford a new computer right now, although I've toyed with the idea of buying a "music-only" laptop that could be used for remote recording.

I've looked at lots of computer recording interface devices. Most come bundled with software, such as Cubase LE. I'm assuming that if I record something digitally, my computer's CDR drive will be able to burn a music CD with the tracks, but I haven't seen anything about that in any of the websites I've seen or manuals I've downloaded. Is this a valid assumption?

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions: what kind of interface to buy, what software is the best, what I will need, what won't work with my setup, what will, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Well, hopefully you've been doing some searches on this site. Use the search function, there's so much available, especially in the Newbies section.

You have a lot of questions and I won't be able to answer all of them. Others might jump with more info....

Your Gateway might be okay, depending on installed RAM and hard drive. I run a P4 and have no problems, but I've got fast drives and 3 gigs of ram. I highly recommend running Win XP over ME. I haven't heard of anyone using ME with any real success. doesn't mean it can't happen, just haven't heard of it.

You've got the right idea with an interface and bundled DAW software. Check these out to get started....

http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces/low2high
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces/low2high

Firewire handles large data transfers better than USB, but for only 2 channels, USB will work just fine.

You'll be able to use your midi components, no problem. Some interfaces will have midi capabilities; just have to research for the one best suited for you. Most midi stuff have Thru connections, so only one midi port is necessary. ymmv.

Your 788 has spdif, I would think that is the best way to get your music into your computer. So, when shopping for an interface, look for one that has spdif ports.

For burning CD's, there are several different approaches. The best route is to send your tunes off to a mastering engineer and let them burn your songs to a cd. Maybe you're not looking for that level of quality. You can buy an app like Wavelab Essential and do it yourself. Or you can find a free download that will burn redbook cd's for you. (redbook is the standard to which music CD's are manufactured. Wavelab can create these cd's)

No one can really recommend the best of anything for you. Everyone's situation is a little different and only you will know what is best for you. Just have to do some research.

Here's a couple of places to learn more.

Home Recording for Musicians by Jeff Strong. Available at Amazon

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm Great place to start learning everything you need to know. And don't forget the search button right up at the top of the page here.

Welcome to the site.

I would personally use the hp but i would put winxp on it. Winxp can only handle 3 gigs memory anyway and it takes less memory to run that os optimaly.

I dont know your situation but maybe you could use the older pc as your main everyday pc.

Back