Another newb looking for opinions

KyleAtGalaxy

Dedicated newb
Hi everyone. I've been recording some songs for my band since we're too poor to go to a studio. I've been recording for less than a year now. Pretty much everything I know I learned from experience and the bbs. I use an Mbox mini an pt7.1 to record with. My gear consists of a 57, a AT2020, a Sennheiser e609, and a cheap cheap Art preamp. I regret not using a click track. I plan to from here on out though. I'm just looking for some opinions, advice, direction, or anything helpful. Oh yeah, here's the url www.soundclick.com/reasonstowritehome

Thanks guys

I've already learned so much from everyone

(Oh I'm so cheesy!)

Throw a de esser across the vocals, use a pop screen in future.
The bottom end is pretty muddy you'll need to clear some of that up and give the bass some definition.
I'd pull back the vox a bit.
Pull the cymbals back a little or tame the high end.
The backing vox starts out well but gets a little haywire towards the end of the passage.
Now, go, listen to others' stuff in this forum, comment, suggest, critque.
This could work out well with some discipline.

I would tone down on the reverb a bit. you either have too much, the wrong kind, or cheap reverb, or any combination of those. You can't hide poor room acoustics by adding reverb.

It's far from from professional, but so are the songs that I record. Every song you do will sound better than the last, so really, just keep doing it.

Back