Another Mystery for me to solve

Sporkmyband

Okay...so when you are recording vocals with a condensor mic in cardoid...
Is the idea for you to face the Gobo, wall covered with auralex..ect, or is the dry stuff supposed to be behind you. In my room recording vox...(this room is about 14x12 with an auralex roominator kit)
should I face the door (the back which is covered in foam)..
Get in the corner (the corner/corners have corner fills and bass traps)
Near a wall with several pieces of foam on it...
With the BACK of the mic facing the foam...
or the foam BEHIND my back? I can't ever really figure this out. I HATE the boomy mid rangy crap that comes in some positions. If I were to put up packing blankets around me on mic stands to make a little booth...behind me while I sing...or in front?

crapsht room

I bought a SM7 just to try to reduce crapsht room sounds.
Its also kinda like a Fender Stratocaster, enough pro's have used 'em so you can't blame the tool any longer...go look somehwere else in the chain...or room...skill set.
SM7 works good at the room noise tho. I'll give it that.

I think I read in a crapsht room, your better
off just making the whole room dead as you can....
it'll still be a crapsht room acoustically
but you won't have the horrid reflections to deal with.

Most LDC's can bring in more reflections(from the back),
which is obvious physically....
and obviously not as good for a noisy/sht room as a pro-design
vocal booth...
there is some reality to them spending that big money$$.

find you a sweet spot and take notes...blankets pillows, foam taped
to your head, whatever works man... it can be done, no doubt there.

I built some bass traps from Ethan and Slayers, 703, and some Auralex.
Still need some sides and ceiling clouds. Nice improvement, no complain-o
and cheap too.

cool....you built those traps

The ones that ethan suggested in an EQ mag before he started his company. Is that what you have? Do they do the trick 1/2 as well as the pricey ones that he sells now? I really need something GOOD ...I don't want my CD to sound like...shizzle- nitzzizzle...

Sporkmyband said:
Okay...so when you are recording vocals with a condensor mic in cardoid...
Is the idea for you to face the Gobo, wall covered with auralex..ect, or is the dry stuff supposed to be behind you. In my room recording vox...(this room is about 14x12 with an auralex roominator kit)
should I face the door (the back which is covered in foam)..
Get in the corner (the corner/corners have corner fills and bass traps)
Near a wall with several pieces of foam on it...
With the BACK of the mic facing the foam...
or the foam BEHIND my back? I can't ever really figure this out. I HATE the boomy mid rangy crap that comes in some positions. If I were to put up packing blankets around me on mic stands to make a little booth...behind me while I sing...or in front?
Every room is different and it's not always easy to find a sweet spot in some rooms. You're going to need to experiment. Maybe try standing with the 12ft wall behind you... and put some packing blankets on mic boom stands between you and the 12ft wall behind you... and sing facing the open room. Portable gobo's are nice because you can liven up or deaden room areas quicky... also, getting closer to the mic may help... or at least worth trying.

Last edited:
Back