another jazz question

eyema_believer

Bondservant
Some of you may remember me posting a question about jazz chord progressions a month or so back. The reason for this was because I was starting a jazz combo/improv course at the community college here in town. Well, I'm 2 weeks into it, and the instructor set me up with a gig. It was today, and while being a lot of fun, and a success on various levels, it underscored a few "issues" for me. First, I need a "real book." Most of the guys I played with today have an illegal "real book" known as the "5th edition," and I can't find one.... not sure I really want to :cool:There is a "realbook" from Hal Leonard Publishing called the "6th edition" that is readily available and legal too.... But I'm just wondering if the songs are numbered alike in both editions.... does anybody know?

Peace!

~Shawn

The legal books (legal Real Book, the "Fake Book" and others) I've seen are not exactly the same as the '5th Edition' Real Book (besides contents, they boast more accurate changes). Most of the common standards are in all of them, but you're always going to run into something that isn't in one of them. I've seen pdf versions of the illegal Real Books in case you're desparate for a chart. I'm sure someone has them posted somewhere.

I'd get whatever you can find so you'll have most of the tunes. You can always read off of someone else's for a tune or two. Piano or bass won't have a transposition. Trumpet or tenor will only read a whole step high. It's the Eb book that's hard to transpose on the fly. Of course sometimes you'll run into horn players who read C books, so you can look over their shoulders too.

I think it's getting hard to find the illegal books because the legal one was put out at nearly the same price to drive away sales (and the liability for selling illegal books).

Then there's memorizing tunes... but that takes a bunch of time and frequent playing.

Yep, get the pdf versions (thats what I use 'cause there are alot of Fake Books) thats the bestway to go. I bet you'll find em' on the net somewhere - then all you have to do is print out the song you are working on. Get the vocal 'C' versions though, these are suitable for g.

K.

PDFs and RealBookSoftware.com

Here is a site you can grab a 45 fakebooks pack.
RealBookSoftware.com/FakebookPack.php

I would also recommend their RealBook Software. It is the original RealBook in all 4 versions (C,Bb,Eb,Bass Clef) rendered into software so you can sort and find tunes quickly. But the real value is that it contains recordings for each song as well as Band In A Box files and MIDI's
a pretty amazing deal

here is their main page
RealBookSoftware.com
Hope this helps!

We used to buy them from the shabbily dressed guy on Mass. Ave. I ahve seen newer versions, along with with the REAL BOOK title where copyright and royalty are paid. These are a little more modern and specific but the notationb is great. As to the "real book" from the day they are around and prob on I-net. I did run across a b flat version with the original typeset and cover for sale at a music store. 25.00 bucks I think. My copy of the C version reappeared, falling apart but had every tune analyzed by self and a few other cats; i wish I could find that sucker but it is lost amid some 50+ boxes of books stored. When it is time for its resurface we shall see. I use my B flat version and jsut transpose. BTW, most instructors who teach jazz have copies and may help you out. Do not ask for a copy of the book. Ask him to dictate thhe basic changes and direct you to a good recording of the tune you are seeking. You transcribe. Here is a good book, and don't laugh at the author, Dick Hyman!!! LOL. His book on (misquote) "Every jazz tune a musician should know" is very cool as it has royalty/copyright etc.. and very cool basic changes with subs and alternate chords for super cool comping. Melodies seem dead on as well. I hope that helps. PM is further questions. Be well.

Some of you may remember me posting a question about jazz chord progressions a month or so back. The reason for this was because I was starting a jazz combo/improv course at the community college here in town. Well, I'm 2 weeks into it, and the instructor set me up with a gig. It was today, and while being a lot of fun, and a success on various levels, it underscored a few "issues" for me. First, I need a "real book." Most of the guys I played with today have an illegal "real book" known as the "5th edition," and I can't find one.... not sure I really want to :cool:There is a "realbook" from Hal Leonard Publishing called the "6th edition" that is readily available and legal too.... But I'm just wondering if the songs are numbered alike in both editions.... does anybody know?

Peace!

~Shawn

Ask the guys you played with where they got theirs. Sad to say, if everyone is playing out of that one (and they are), you're going to need it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

i've got version 4... was strange going in to buy it... kinda like a bob sent me thing wink... i also have 1,2,and 3 on a cd... dont want to bother with the whole thing but if ya need a couple to work on pm me and i'l send them to you...

Thanks everyone, for the feedback. The main thing I'm needing is a paper book that I can take to a gig, and when the leader calls out such and such song, and says it's on page 164, that I can be there with him in a moment. I guess I will have to search for a used 5th edition, if I want to be sure I'm with these guys....
Other than that, the instructor at school will give us photo-copys of the stuff we work on there, so no big deal...

Peace!

~Shawn

It's the Eb book that's hard to transpose on the fly.

Nah. Sax parts in Eb are actually the easiest transposition you can do. Just read the part like it's in bass clef and add three flats, then raise it by a few octaves as needed. :)

Of course, if I were feeling evil, I could say that music for C instruments is also easy, Just read it like it is in tenor clef and add two flats. But I'm not feeling that evil.... :D

Oh yeah, Kudos! on getting the gig.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thanks Light... I feel like jumping into an "as seen on TV commercial,".... somthing like:
*cue music*..... Playing Jazz with your friends is fun and easy with Hal Leonards new Real Book 6th edition.....snip snip......BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!"

lol

Back