Another Fade2Muffins metal mix...This one's tricky.

FadeToMuffins

Hey Guys, I am having some trouble with this mix. The vocals don't sound quite right to me (a little upper-mid-rangey to me) and I'm having a freakin hard time getting the rhythm guitars to sound right. This was my recording chain for the guitars

Jackson DKMG -> Peavey 6505+ -> Avatar Cab w/ Celestion V30 speakers -> SM57 pointed half on paper half on cone -> Line6 toneport UX2 pre-amp. (Quad-Tracked)

Granted it's not the greatest quality chain, but it is simple and I would hope I could get some decent sounding tones. These guitars sound kinda fizzy and don't "bark" like I would like.

The vocals I recorded with My Behringer B-2 Condensor. There's some doubling going on via a plugin on the main (verse & chorus) vocals, but I tried to keep it subtle.

Unfortunately I am at work right now and the only copy I have of this song is compressed/limited, so I hope you guys can put up with that for now.

Linky-poo:

As always, thanks a ton for listening and offering your honest feedback!

Last edited:
Awesome song dude! Take everything but the vocals and try scooping a tiny tiny tiny bit at about 200hz. That usually clears up some of the mud.

I think we have to revoke your metal license for using the word "linky-poo." :D

I like the guitar tone. It sounds fine to me.

I'm not a fan of the crash cymbals. They seem to be adding more noise than anything.

Great playing. Not my style. But great playing - real fast.

Cookie Monster vocals could come up just a bit.

Guitars sound good.

Didn't care for any of the drums. Slappy snare, cheap cybals, sounded robotic.

The audio lacks clarity. For speedy stuff like this, I've found using more staccato sounds makes things a little less messy. Your drums sound too boomy for this type of music, IMO. If they've got reverb on em', lower it, or take it off.

Guitars could bite more. Not entirely sure how help ya there, though. Although, I think the guitars are much more acceptable than the drums for this. Sounds like the guitars are swimming in a bit too much verb, too..

All in all, I think the performance is stellar. The song in and of itself was pretty interesting.

Keep working at it!

The audio lacks clarity. For speedy stuff like this, I've found using more staccato sounds makes things a little less messy. Your drums sound too boomy for this type of music, IMO. If they've got reverb on em', lower it, or take it off.

Guitars could bite more. Not entirely sure how help ya there, though. Although, I think the guitars are much more acceptable than the drums for this. Sounds like the guitars are swimming in a bit too much verb, too..

All in all, I think the performance is stellar. The song in and of itself was pretty interesting.

Keep working at it!

Thanks for the helpful feedback, PI. IMO, the only reason the guitars sound as good as they do is the fact that (and not to brag..) they are well played and in time with each other. Tonally, I'm not that big a fan of them. Do you think maybe I should bust out the tube screamer or something? These guitar sound sort of...unfocused I guess. Almost like there is a phasing issue, but there can't be because its 4 completely seperate takes. As for reverb on the guitars, there's only a tiny bit. I have waves Rverb on them and its like a 8% wet/dry ratio with the verb turned to like -5 dB's or so.

As for the drums, I definitely get a little reverb happy. I know it sacrafices the overall clarity, but that big pounding snare drum with the verb on it just sounds angry. It gives it that old-school arch enemy + clayman Inflames feel to me. But I definitely could work on finding a happy medium somewhere in there.

All in all, I appreciate the opinions guys thanks a lot for listening. Unfortunately, it's going to be at least a week before I can do any remixing. my other guitarist has my computer and he's using it to lay down his tracks for my band's album, so I'm officially without a creative music outlet for a week :mad:

Back